"Before You Go"

A/N: Hi again! How are you guys? I hope you're well! I got this request from stvenat- to write a story based on the season 3 finale. So, I decided to use the over-arching story as the basis, but I added a few little twists. I hope you enjoy it! Much love! 💗 💕
Song: "Before You Go" by Lewis Capaldi
Rating: Everyone

***

You're standing outside the federal court house building in downtown LA with the rest of the Phoenix team where a bomb went off a few hours ago.

"What are we dealing with, Charlie?" Mac asks Charlie Robinson, FBI bomb analytics expert and long-time friend. He's actually the one who called Mac asking for some help with this troubling situation.

"This bomb is sophisticated, extremely. I mean, it's next level. The maker sent it in attached to the robot that was meant to detonate it. I've never seen anything like it."

"Y/N and I can head in with you to get a better look at what we're dealing with," Mac replies in hopes that more people on the case will help find a solution.

You and Mac get suited up and follow Charlie into the building where everything in sight is charred and smoke lingers in the air.

Gratefully, you're both extremely qualified for the task considering you both had experience with bombs in the military.

"Do you think there could be a second device?" you ask Charlie.

"I have no idea what to expect from this guy. We should search the rest of the building for clues or evidence of additional devices," he suggests.

"What can we do to help?" Mac asks.

"I'm going to scan the other floors. Mac, can you search the rubble from this device in case I missed anything?"

"Sure."

You look between Mac and Charlie, thinking that you would rather be anywhere but in a room alone with Mac right now.

So, you say, "Charlie, I can tag along with you. Two eyes are better than one."

Mac gives you a knowing look, annoyance in his features.

You just roll your eyes. You're not on the best of terms at the moment. Last night, you both got into a heated argument about your relationship and where it's going... or, in other words, where it's not going.

***Flashback***

"I fell by the wayside like everyone else. I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, but I was just kidding myself."

"Because you never let me in, Mac! You want to be in a relationship, but only on your own terms. You only tell me what you want to tell me in order to keep me at arms length," you scream, infuriated by your most recent quarrel with Mac. "We have been going back and forth about this for two years! I'm starting to wonder what this really is. I mean, what are we even doing? I thought I knew, but now I'm not so sure. You need to stop pushing me away!"

"I'm not pushing you away. It's just - I'm not able to-" But, he trails off, unable to finish his thought.

"You're not able to what? Love me?" Your words, cold as ice, cut through the tension in the atmosphere. "You know, every now and then I get this sense of where this is going between us. I see you letting go and letting me in. But, then like a switch, it's over before it even started."

"We aren't normal people, Y/N. The normal life you want - that's not a luxury that we get," he insists.

"We may not have ordinary lives, but we're still people! You're just looking for an excuse because deep down you don't know if this is what you really want! You don't know if I'm what you really want."