"Woman You Got"

A/N: Hi everybody! 😊 Wise_Girl_Annabeth kindly requested this song. So, here is the story I came up with to go with it! Let me know what you think! 🧡
Song: "Woman You Got" by Maddie and Tae
Rating: Everyone

***Mac's POV***

"Why are words so hard?" I mumble to myself, tapping my pencil on the edge of the blank spiral notebook staring back at me. The more I stare at it, the more the college-ruled lines blur together - the vast emptiness only mocking me more. I look up at the feeling of a light evening breeze blowing across the patio. It's a hazy night tonight, and the stars have been hiding away for the past several days. Staring at the dark sky, I'm lost in my own thoughts until I hear Bozer come shuffling out, and I heave a sigh of frustration.

"Still working on those vows?" he asks with the quirk of an eyebrow.

"Is it terrible that I still haven't written them?"

"Considering the wedding is in less than 48 hours? Kinda."

I toss the notebook to the side, throwing the pencil on top, and run a hand over my face. "Science and logic make sense to me. Words, on the other hand, not so much."

He takes a seat in the chair beside me, obviously determined to make me feel better. "Come on, Mac. I know you've told Y/N how you feel before. What's up?"

"Of course I have. But, this time it seems different. It's like I'm trying to find the words to say to her that will last an entire lifetime. The stakes are higher, and the words seem to mean more now."

"Well, maybe I can help. Just stop thinking about the words themselves and think about all the times you've spent together. How did you know she was the one?"

I sit back. and my mind meanders. Surprisingly, it helps. I soon find myself lost in the past...

"The first time I knew I felt something for her was just a few weeks after she joined our team at the Phoenix..."

***Flashback***

"Baby, you put a ring on a wild thing. A whole lotta people watched it all go down. There's some things I gotta put out on the table 'cause time won't take its time to rat me out."

Y/N and I are sitting in a small train car on our way to Munich, Germany. My mind drifts at the constant thrumming motion of the train rolling along the metal tracks beneath us. A constant hum rises from the ground, and the slight rock of the car that carries us is nearly enough to lull a person to sleep. I'm sure it would if we weren't here for a very important mission.

In the car across the middle walkway, the witness to a double homicide, Peter, is seated anxiously. As an innocent citizen, he found himself in a horrid situation when he witnessed two murders conducted by one of America's most wanted criminals. His testimony could be the final nail in that criminal's coffin. But, of course, until the testimony, Peter is in undoubtedly serious danger. So, he needs to lay low, and we're here to make sure he stays safe.

That's why we're headed to Germany to a secure, secluded safe house off the grid. After a long flight overseas, we boarded this train to go the rest of the way, knowing this was the most low-profile method of transportation. We're keeping our distance from Peter in order to keep his cover and not make it obvious that we're escorting him to a highly confidential location for witness protection. But, Y/N's eyes never waiver from his form as he sits there. In fact, she's been so focused that she's hardly said two words to me since the train departed.

It's no secret Y/N has been a bit of a closed book since she joined our team. So, I take this rare quiet moment as an opportunity to break the ice. "So, this is our first mission just the two of us."