"If I Can't Have You"

A/N: Welcome back, my lovelies! I am so sorry it's taken so long for me to update. Life has been crazy lately (in a good way!), and I've just been super busy. Thanks for hanging in there! And, of course, thank you to hannahblue22 for making this request! The song is "If I Can't Have You" by Shawn Mendes. Happy reading!🤓💖
Rating: Everyone

***

You crash through the door with Mac's arm slung across your shoulder while he hobbles, trying his best to steady himself on one leg.

The Phoenix safe house is dark and dreary. A thin layer of dust covers the room, giving it a grey hue. This suggests that no one has had to stay here for quite some time.

"How did I not know the Phoenix had safe houses like this?" you ask in amazement.

"Because we usually don't have to use them," Mac groans, obviously in pain.

You help Mac, who was pretty badly hurt after taking a fall from a tall building, to the old couch positioned in the middle of the room.

Searching for a light switch, you finally find it and flip it on. The living area lights blink on, and the space fills with a faint glow.

For the first time, you can finally see the full extent of Mac's injuries. It had been such a hurry to get away from the several men chasing you that it isn't until now that you both can finally breathe a moment of relief and truly consider the situation you're in.

"Mac, you're bleeding pretty badly." You can't hide the concern in your eyes as you scan Mac's entire banged-up side.

Kneeling beside him on the floor, you examine the gash in his skin through the ripped cotton of his T-shirt. Your brow furrows with concern. Then, your eyes flick to his, and you swallow hard.

"They have to have a first aid kit somewhere around here, right?" you ask.

"There should be one—-" as Mac tries to lift himself off the couch, he winces in pain.

"Mac, don't. You're adrenaline's starting to wear off, so you're gonna really feel the pain now. I'll find it," you tell him gently.

"I'm good at keepin' my distance. I know that you're the feelin' I'm missing. You know that I hate to admit it, but everything means nothin' if I can't have you."

Your mind races as you search for the first aid kit. The failed mission. Mac falling from that building. The painful feeling in your chest as you watched him fall in what felt like slow motion... Your feelings — Nope. Don't think about that — The pain in his eyes. Feeling hopeless as those men chased you down.

Finally, you sigh a short breath of relief when your eyes land on exactly what you were looking for, and you push those thoughts to the side.

When you reach the living room again, you take in Mac's pained state, and you find yourself wishing your roles were reversed. You'd give anything to be the one gasping in pain. You just hate seeing him like this. You can't help but think that you've caused some of that pain. Maybe not the physical part but definitely the emotional. In this moment, more than ever, you know that if you could take it all away and bear the pain yourself, you would.

"I found it," you say in a shaky tone.

Opening the pack, Mac puts his hand on yours. "Here. I can do it," he assures.

"Are you kidding? You're hurt. You can't." You stare adamantly into those baby blues of his. "Let me do this. Let me help you."

Mac says nothing, but he nods.