"You'll be in My Heart"

A/N: Hi everyone, by now I'm sure you've all heard that "MacGyver" will be ending after the current season. 😭 I won't go into too much of a tangent, but I think we can all agree that our world is going to be very different without it. 💔 Some of you have been asking if I will still be writing after the show ends. For now, I plan on writing as long as I have new ideas and free time to write! Hopefully I can help keep "MacGyver" alive for at least a little while longer. So, here is a new one for ya! Love you guys! 🧡
Song: "You'll be in My Heart" by Phil Collins
Rating: Everyone

***

"What does the puppy say?"

"Woof!"

I hold my two-year-old daughter snuggly in my lap as I point at the page of her favorite picture book about animals.

"That's right, Lizzy. Good job!"

She turns the page with her little hand and grins proudly.

I point to the next photo of a black and white animal. "What's this one?"

"A moo moo cow."

She smiles with excitement at our nightly routine of reading together before she goes to bed. My heart melts every single time she looks up at me with those big doe eyes. She looks so much like me, except she's got Mac's thick head of hair that's somehow always a mess. I'll never stop wondering how we got so lucky to be blessed with a daughter like her.

Before long, I hear the rumbling of tires outside and the jingling of keys as Mac comes through the front door.

I glance up with a smile. But, his face is tired and nearly unreadable. "Hey."

He sighs, and there's almost a hint of nervousness in his demeanor. "Hi."

I pause our reading and lift Elizabeth off my lap, letting her play with the book in her hands on the couch. "Here, sweetheart. Keep looking at the pictures."

I know something is up, so I meet Mac at the door. "What's the matter?" I wonder, and I notice Mac hasn't closed the door behind him, letting the cool draft inside.

"I need you to not freak out too much at what I'm about to show you."

"When you start with that, how can I not freak out? What's going on?"

Without another word, Mac turns back around, steps just outside the door, and turns back to reveal... a baby carrier?

And I'm convinced I've never been more confused in my life. But, my confusion contorts to sheer disbelief when I see there's a sleeping little girl nestled inside.

I look up at Mac, eyes widened, and words completely evade my mind.

"I can explain."

***

About an hour (and one long explanation of the day's events) later, I've just settled Elizabeth in bed. I stare down at the still-snoozing newborn in the baby carrier placed on the couch.

"Someone just left her there?"

"I can't believe it either. We were searching for lost Ukrainian refugees near Saint Petersburg, and that's when I stumbled upon a cardboard box. There she was wrapped up in a blanket, completely abandoned."

"But why is she here?"

"We obviously couldn't leave her there. So, we brought her back to Phoenix. When we got back, we were told we would have to hand her over to child protective services. She would have ended up in federal custody until they found a foster home. I started thinking about how alone and deprived she's already been. Then, the thought of her being put through the foster system potentially for years... I just couldn't..." He glances up at me with remorse and empathy, and I know he's alluding to something far greater beneath the surface.