"Marry Me 💔"

A/N: Happy 2021, everybody! ✨🎇🎆 I've heard people saying that this year's word is "hope," and I think that is a perfect choice. I am wishing all of you so much hope, love, inner peace, and health for the new year and beyond. One of my goals for the month of January is to get caught up on all of the requests I've gotten! So, to start things off, this one is a request from mrsgregorovich14 . Since this is a new year, I thought I would try something a little new and different. So, I wrote this one from Mac's POV. Let me know what you guys think of it!
Song: "Marry Me" by Thomas Rhett
Rating: Everyone

*** Mac's POV ***

"She's never late," I insist, staring at my watch.

It's so unlike Y/N to be late to anywhere, let alone to work. The room sits idly, everyone waiting for her to arrive. Matty's face contorts, annoyed.

I pull out my phone to text her, but a moment later, I see her finally sneaking into the war room.

She glances my way, and my worried eyes meet hers. She gives me a reassuring smile.

"Now that we're all finally here, let's get started," Matty announces in a diplomatic (and slightly annoyed) tone.

Several minutes later, once we all have our assignments for the day, I can't stop thinking about Y/N's strange behavior - showing up late and refusing to meet my eyes during most of our prebrief. I'm just about to set the record straight as I overhear Matty telling Y/N, "I suppose congratulations are in order."

She stops in her tracks, mouth agape, dumbfounded. "Wait, you know?"

"Of course. Haven't you learned that I have eyes and ears everywhere?" Matty asks her with a wink.

I approach as Matty leaves, asking, "What was that about?"

Her eyes fall on mine, and there's a momentary lapse before she blurts out, "I'm getting married!"

Her elation practically beams from her face at her confession. Her smile is like none I've ever seen before.

But, in contrast, I can't deny the heavy pit forming in my stomach.

"Oh, uh - wow. Zac proposed?" is all I can force out of my mouth.

"Yeah. I wanted to tell you first considering you're my best friend. Matty kinda ruined that, I guess."

"Y/N, this is incredible." The heavy feeling in my stomach quickly spreads to my chest. But, she's happy - so happy. I can't interfere with that.

"So," she begins with a hopeful smile. "This might sound weird, but I was wondering.... if you would be my man of honor? Best man? I don't know what you'd call it in this situation," she admits with a light chuckle.

I must stand there dumbfounded for several seconds, still processing everything. She waits with bated breath.

"Of course. I'd love to."

She gives me a tight hug, wrapping her arms around my neck. With her body pressed against mine, I smell the coconut scent of her shampoo mixed with the sweet aroma of her flowery perfume. My head whirls.

She's engaged.

As the day drags on, Bozer and I are in the car headed to our destination, and my mind wanders. I try to process how I ever let myself get here. I think back to when Y/N and I were growing up in Mission City. We've pretty much been friends for forever.

Y/N, Bozer, and I were pretty much the modern day version of the three musketeers. We did everything together. Whenever we could, we would hang out in the old tree house I built with my grandfather. From the time the three of us met, we claimed it as our "club" space.