"Tell Me"

A/N: Hey guys! Typically I like to write stories that have happy endings, which I'm sure you've figured out by now if you've read a lot of my stuff. But, sometimes I think we all just need a good, sad story. So, whether you are feeling down or need a good way to let out some emotion, have a read and take a listen to this song. Love you guys! 💙
Song: "Tell Me" by Hunter Hayes
Rating: Some Mature Content 

***Y/N's POV***

What is love? I mean, it doesn't seem right to belittle it to just a word with one simple definition. But, that's what humans do, right? We try to simplify everything to protect ourselves from uncertainty - from the dreaded grey area.

So, what is love, then? We all think we know what it is. But, we all have different definitions for it. I've personally always envisioned it as that emotional and physical connection that runs so deeply that it's simply unwavering and unbreakable. I've always thought that true love between two people meant that life without that person would be utterly unthinkable. In fact, someone near and dear to me once said, "The ones we truly love will never leave us. There could be hundreds of reasons to leave, but true love never fails."

Despite that hopeful sentiment, I've learned that may not be entirely true. The sad truth is...
sometimes love just isn't enough.

That realization hit me many months ago. My life had seemed great from the outside, and I convinced even myself that I was happy right where I was. I tried to convince myself of that for a long time. But, one day, out of the blue, I realized that I had been living a lie and wasting my life on a dead-end journey. Unfortunately, that realization came at the expense of life with the one person I loved most in the world...

***

"Hey, Y/N!" I instantly hear from the mouth of my always-smiling coworker, Ellie, as I begrudgingly stride into the employee's lounge on yet another mundane Monday. This day, unsurprisingly, has been the same as any other work day: Wake up at 7 AM, be at work by 8:30, grab some coffee, punch some numbers, check email, more coffee, more numbers - and the cycle continues.

I sigh as I pour my next cup of coffee. "Hey, Ellie. How are you?"

"Good. Stephen and I went to visit my parents and brother over the weekend."

"Really?" I turn to face her, leaning against the counter as I bring the dark cup of warm liquid to my lips. "I thought your brother was off exploring the world. I believe your mother calls him an insufferable 'rolling stone.'" I grin with a wink.

"Yeah. The very same brother. He came back home for a few weeks."

"Honestly, I envy him. He's travelled the world. I wish I would have done that after I finished school." A melancholy feeling settles into my chest at the thought, but I suppress it.

"Actually, he had some big news to share. He's decided to rejoin the Peace Corps as a Peace Corps Response volunteer."

"Wow. Really?"

"He said he wanted to find purpose again while still being able to travel the world. He did that one mission after high school. Now, he wants to do it permanently. It's actually inspiring." She stops herself and chuckles. "I never thought I would say that about my big brother. Inspiring," she jokes.

My mind drifts thoughtfully. "You know, my grandparents actually met in the Peace Corps. When I was younger, I always thought I would join, too."

"Really? Why didn't you?"

I'm not sure what to say. I frown. The real reason I didn't take the leap is lame and, honestly, shameful. So, I just shrug. "I guess it wasn't meant to be."