"Take Me Home For Christmas"

A/N: Its that time of year again! 🎄❄️☃️🎅 You know I just couldn't resist a holiday story, and this has been one of my favorite new songs this season. Needless to say, it's been a crazy year. But, I hope this holiday season brings you all a little bit of normalcy and a whole lot of love!!!! Happy holidays, everyone! ✨❤️
Song: "Take Me Home for Christmas" by Dan and Shay
Rating: Everyone

***

"It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas everywhere you go..."

You're hanging the tree ornaments, listening to the sweet melody of Michael Buble's Christmas album. But, a melancholy feeling settles in your chest as you stare up at the twinkling lights covering each branch.

"....And done." Mac hops off a step stool after he places the star on the top branch.

You smile, but you can't help that it doesn't quite reach your eyes.

Mac wraps his arms gently around your waist. "What's the matter?"

"I just can't believe this will be the very first Christmas I won't spend at home with my family."

"I know it's tough." His face falls with a frown. "You know I wish I could change the world for you."

To this day, you've never missed a Christmas at home with your parents and little sister. Even when you went off to college, moved out, and found a job all the way in LA, you always went back home for the holidays. But, then 2020 happened.

You sit down on the couch with Mac, admiring your newly-decorated tree and fighting to truly feel the holiday spirit.

"I promise we'll make this Christmas special too," he assures you.

"I know, and I love spending it with you. But, it's just going to be different." You lean into him, thinking back to some of your favorite holiday memories. "You know which Christmas has been my favorite so far?"

"I think I could take a guess. But, then again, I'm a bit biased."

"True. But, if you're thinking about the one I think you're thinking of, then you're right. It was the first one we spent together."

"That was, by far, my favorite too."

***Flashback***

"Baby, when December comes, when it's gettin' cold outside, and your bags are packed, I don't wanna say goodbye. When I see the trees light up, when they hang the mistletoe, and I'm by the fire, I don't wanna be alone."

"Why won't you ever let me choose the music?" Mac whines.

"Because, no offense, but you have terrible taste in Christmas music."

"Christmas music is Christmas music."

"That is where you're very wrong."

You're driving up highway 101 for a long road trip to your hometown, a small town in Oregon state.

Mac takes a deep, nervous breath.

"Mac, don't be nervous."

"I can't help it."

"It's not like you've never met my family before. And they all love you."

"It just feels more personal because we're actually staying at your parent's house, and because it's Christmas. It's always just been your parents, sister, and you. I feel like I'm intruding on tradition."

"You absolutely shouldn't feel that way." You take Mac's hand over the console and squeeze it comfortingly. "You are one of the most important people in my life. So, you're an important part of our family traditions. I wouldn't have asked you to come if that weren't true."