"Bring You Back"

A/N: Hi everyone! I'm back with part two of my new "miniseries," as promised. If you haven't read part 1, I encourage you to do so first (titled "This Side Of Heaven)! Thanks for following along with me! (Btw the song is by Brett Eldredge.) 😊
Rating: Everyone

***

It's been ten months of trying to have a baby. That's nearly a year of negative pregnancy tests and an unbelievable amount of crushed faith.

The worst part is that there's no denying it's taken a toll on your marriage. Tensions have been running high lately between Mac and you. You both know it's wrong to blame one another or to take your frustrations out on each other. It's neither of your fault, but as humans we always seem to be looking for a scapegoat for our problems. Unfortunately, it's the people we love most that too often take the fall.

But, through everything, your biggest worry is that the love is slowly withering away. Everything about your relationship has become so mechanical, so forced. Every touch lacks feeling. Every kiss lacks passion. And every moment together feels empty. How on Earth did it get this bad so quickly?

"It happened on a Sunday, outside and the sun was shining. That look on your face, oh, it hit me so hard inside...All I needed were the right words, but they were so hard to find.

Late one afternoon, the gang came over just to catch up and hang out for a while. You thought that maybe surrounding yourself with your friends could help lift your spirits and brighten your mood. But, perhaps it's just masking reality.

You haven't really told anyone about your struggle to have a baby or the toll it's taken on your marriage. So, throughout the afternoon and evening, you try your best to put on a happy, carefree smile. But, today has been exceptionally taxing, and that just seems nearly impossible to do.

This morning, Mac and you got into a stupid fight. Over what? Who knows, honestly? That's how all your arguments seem to be lately—Revolving around frivolous things, never exposing the true root of the problem.

Now, seated on the patio, you're trying your best to carry a conversation with Riley. But, your mind is somewhere else.

"You okay?" Riley asks, noticing your distant demeanor.

"Yeah, I'm fine," you say as you force a half-smile.

Mac sits across the room, holding a conversation of his own with Bozer. You watch him as he laughs at whatever Bozer just said, wondering if he has to force it as much as you do. But, It seems so effortless. Is he not hurting like you are? Does he not notice all the demons lurking under the surface?

For a moment, Mac glances over at you, and your eyes meet for a brief second. Before you look away, you think that maybe you notice a hint of remorse lace his features.

Distracting yourself, "I'll go get more drinks," you say to Riley.

Walking into the kitchen, you sense someone following you, and you realize it's Mac. "Want some help?" he asks hesitantly.

"I got it," you say shortly, avoiding his help and his gaze. Your voice is cold, and that familiar tension rears its ugly head.

"Y/N."

"What?"

"Are we just gonna keep doing this?"

"Yeah, I guess so."

"I can't believe you!" Mac suddenly raises his voice, catching you off guard. He hardly ever does that. "I try to talk to you, and you ignore me. Then, you want to blame me for not talking to you."