"Illicit Affairs" (Pt. 1)

A/N: Hi everybody! Huge thank you to Jocee0Lin for requesting this song. I've decided to split this story into two parts, so stay tuned for the second! Of course, let me know what you think below! 💖💖💖
Song: "Illicit Affairs" by Taylor Swift
Rating: Some mature content

***

"Make sure nobody sees you leave. Hood over your head, keep your eyes down. Tell your friends you're out for a run. You'll be flushed when you return."

"Alright, alright," Jack speaks out above the side conversations that have filled the patio of Mac's home. "It's time for the master of all speeches to make a speech."

"Where did you come up with the idea that you're a master of anything?" Riley wonders in a derogatory tone. Bozer can't help but smirk.

"Just hush and listen." As Jack raises his bottle of Bud Light, he smiles and turns to me. "To
Y/N!"

"Me? Why?" I wonder, shaking my head in embarrassed disbelief.

"Because, if it weren't for your quick thinking, I wouldn't be sitting here right now." His tone grows serious, and I swear he's fighting a lump in his throat. "In complete and utter honesty, thank you."

I nod, blushing.

Bozer shakes his head, still perplexed by our unlikely escape earlier today. "Where'd you learn to do that anyway?"

"I guess I've been around Mac too long," I admit. "But, I promise to leave the improvisation to him in the future."

I catch Mac's grin from across the fire pit but glance down at the burning embers of the fire pit before us.

A few moments later, Matty clears her throat and stands, transitioning from her care-free demeanor back to business, "Well, this has been a lovely afternoon, but I should get going. I have three department heads to yell at and about twenty case files to sort through before our next mission."

"We should get going too," Riley pipes up as well, referring to me and her. "Right, roomie?"

I nod.

"Same here," Bozer joins in with a yawn.

As everyone stands to collect themselves, my eyes find Mac's again, and he subtly licks his lips. I bite my lower lip and fight a grin from spreading across my face. I've always found it amazing how two people can have a conversation without any words at all - in a room filled with other people - their wavelengths perfectly in sync.

"Ready?" Riley calls from a few feet away, breaking me from my reverie.

"Yeah. Ready."

***

When we get back to our place, I immediately take a shower and change out of my work clothes, washing away the sweat and muck of our earlier mission. It's still early evening, but when I tiptoe along the cold hard floor of the hall, after the mission we had, it's no surprise Riley is fast asleep in her room. Meandering as quietly as I can, I throw on some sweatpants, a t-shirt, and a hoody. When I leave the room, I close the door behind me, wincing as it makes a slight cracking noise. It does that every damn time as if it's mocking me. I'd leave it open, but I've gotta make it look like I'm still in there in case Riley wakes up before I'm back.

I gently tiptoe through the kitchen and living area, only pausing to grab my old pair of Converse from the floor, purposefully waiting to put them on until I'm safely out the door.

I'm almost about to grab the doorknob when I hear, "Where are you going?"

Shit.

I turn on my heels to see Riley standing by the kitchen sink, her arms crossed over her chest.