"Leave Your Lover"

A/N: Hi all! This story is a request from iamweird552 and, as you may be able to tell from the above picture, it was originally a Christmas request. So, since it's January, I decided to keep the Xmas theme and tweaked the original story I came up with a bit. But, who says we can't celebrate the holidays all year round? Happy imagining! ✨❤️
Song: "Leave Your Lover" by Sam Smith
Rating: Everyone

***

The icy wind blows right through you, despite wearing three layers of clothing. When you close the door of the house you've been renting, you shiver audibly. Of course your boss would send you to Greenland during the coldest time of the year. There's a reason people call visiting Greenland in the winter an "Arctic adventure." But, as a hard-hitting journalist, you have to be ready and willing for anything.

So, pulling off your outer layers, scarf, mittens, and snow boots, you head straight to the fireplace to start a fire.

Moments later, the crackling of the logs and bouncing flames of a new, roaring fire fills the small house with an orangey-red glow. You bask in the radiating heat as you make a cup of hot cider, stirring in just the right amount of cinnamon to fully warm the senses.

You settle into a comfy, plush chair by the fireplace, grabbing your laptop and pulling on your cozy socks and fleece cardigan.

You've decided that the next few hours will be dedicated solely to writing. You only have a few more weeks here to finish the story you've been working on, so there's no time to waste.

But, after about an hour of nonstop writing, your mind begins to drift. You take a break and meander over to the window, watching some fresh snow fall over the wintry landscape. You've been here in Greenland since right after Christmas. At first, you thought this story and trip came during the best time - when you needed a break from your world the most. But, you're realizing maybe it actually came at the absolute worst time - not just because of the weather but mainly because of how you left things at home.

***Flashback to Christmas Eve***

You check your hair in the mirror for the ten thousandth time, rubbing your shimmery lip gloss over your lips. Holding up two dresses - one a dark red, off-the-shoulder number, the other dark green with a boat neckline.

Come on, it shouldn't be that hard to choose an outfit.

After far too much contemplation, you finally decide on the green ensemble.

Smoothing out the knee-length dress over your body in front of the mirror again, you sigh. You can feel your heart rate quickening by the minute - and not in a good way.

Then, your phone pings on your nightstand.

You pick it up, scanning over several messages from "🔥❤️":

I've been thinking about you all day......

Why aren't you returning my messages?.....

How about you come over and we have a little fun tonight? 😉

You ignore the messages, locking your phone and placing it in your clutch.

You sigh in front of the mirror once more. "This is no big deal. You're just meeting Mac's friends ... who are practically his family.... So, in essence, you're meeting his family.... And you're going to get nervous and act like an idiot.... And they're going to hate you....." you ramble on before recognizing the need to catch yourself before you spiral.

"This doesn't have to be a big deal," you finally affirm with a strong nod to yourself.

But, it is a big deal. You and Mac have been seeing each other on and off for a couple months now. It's never really been serious or exclusive - at least not to you. But, tonight, he's introducing you to his friends.... at a Christmas Eve party, nonetheless. You know exactly what happens when a guy starts introducing you to his friends. Then, you'll all be hanging out together and getting close. You'll learn all about his past and his weird quirks. He'll start to expect more, hoping for commitment. Then, before you know it, he's picturing picket fences, marriage, and kids. But, you can't do it. The thought of committing isn't just scary - It's absolutely terrifying.