"Grow As We Go"

A/N: Hey everyone! I have gotten a few requests for a second part to "'Tell me,'" and you know I just had to oblige. I have recently been rewatching early episodes of the show, so you may have noticed that some of my most recent stories seem to be somewhat inspired by certain episodes. This one in particular was partially inspired by episode 1X13. Even though we don't have any new episodes coming (yet!🤞), I've loved going back in time to rewatch! Anyways, I hope you guys enjoy this one!
Song: "Grow As We Go" by Ben Platt
Rating: Everyone

***

"You say there's so much you don't know, you need to go and find yourself. You say you'd rather be alone 'cause you think you won't find it tied to someone else."

A lot can happen in two years - two trips around the sun - 24 months – 730 days and just as many lonely nights – 17,520 hours –1,051,200 minutes – 63,072,000 seconds.

The world never stops moving no matter where we are or what we're doing. So, of course, I never expected the world to stop for me when I left LA. I'm not naive. But, at the same time, I'm not ready to see how much everything has changed since I left.

Nonetheless, as I step off the plane and am greeted by the California sky, my home still looks and feels the same. It's the epitome of urban, first-world living.

At dusk, the restaurant that stands before me is bathed in that familiar orangey-red glow from the horizon. Inside, from the dim lights and soft dinner music to the crowds of well-dressed people chatting in comfortable amicability, I never realized how much we take advantage of the simplest things in our lives. Two years in the Peace Corps will undoubtedly change a person's perspective.

As I scan the restaurant, my eyes meet Ellie's - my former coworker and current friend.

Just then, her eyes meet mine as well, and she jumps up from the table. "Y/N! OMG! It's been forever." She embraces me in an impossibly tight hug, nearly sucking the air out of my lungs. But, I can't help but smile. "Wow, you look amazing! You're so tan," she grins with astonishment, looking me over almost like a worried mother would. "The Peace Corps treated you well."

"Thanks. But, look at you! You're practically glowing."

I turn to her husband, giving him a slightly awkward hug as well. "Stephen. It's good to see you."

"You too. Ellie hasn't stopped talking about you since you left.

I chuckle as we sit down to order our dinner before Ellie hits me with all the questions she's been harboring. "Tell me everything!"

We talk for what seems like hours. As foreign as it feels being here in a civilized world, it doesn't take long for my muscle memory to take over and for me to feel like I've barely left.

All is going well... until she asks the dreaded question. "So, does Mac know you're home?"

My eyes fall to my plate, nervously playing with my pasta. "No. We didn't exactly leave things on the best of terms."

"You still love him, though, don't you?"

The question catches me off guard for a moment. But, I don't even have to consider my answer. "Yes. Of course. But, it's been two years. A lot can happen in that time. It's more complicated than love. It always has been."

She purses her lips, taking a sip of her water. "Honestly, I don't see what could be so complicated."

But, I decide it's best to jump out of the hot seat as quickly as possible. "Enough about me. What's new with you?" I try my best to divert the conversation as far away from my new least favorite subject.