"One I've Been Missing" 🎄

A/N: Okay, so by now, I think you all know how much I adore Hallmark Christmas movies. I was inspired by a series of movies titled "A Godwink Christmas," and I decided to use that inspiration for a new holiday story. After all, Christmas is all about magic and miracles. ✨✨✨ I hope you like it! And Merry Christmas (again!) 🎄🎅❤️
Song: "One I've Been Missing" by Little Mix
Rating: Everyone

***

This certainly isn't how you expected to spend your Christmas - in a new city, starting a new job, away from everything familiar. But, some things in life happen that we simply don't have control over.

So, here you are in LA. Why are you here? Because a few months ago the veterinary clinic you worked for in Washington state closed down unexpectedly. By some twist of fate, however, a spot opened up at a clinic in Los Angeles.

Today is your first day, and you're up early, hardly able to sleep at all last night as you thought about starting a new job in this huge city. You sigh as you look around at all the unpacked boxes scattered around your new home. You wish you would have had at least a day or two to get settled, but sick pets wait for no one.

Once you sift through the boxes to find the essentials to get ready for the day, you're scrambling to find one more thing - your coffee maker. No day can begin until you have the glorious fuel of a warm caffeinated beverage coursing through your body.

"Ah ha! Found it!"

But, as you pull the machine out of its cardboard box, you notice the cord is frayed at the end, and you frown. "Well, that's just great. I need caffeine."

Your German Shepard toddles into the room and barks in response, cocking his head to the side.

"I guess I need a plan B." Grabbing your jacket and bag from the floor, you give him a pat on the head, scratching his ears. "I'll see you later, Sergeant. Be good while I'm gone."

"I'm sorry I ain't been around. But, you've been on my mind a million times. I'll make it up to you now. We'll wrap the presents and put up the tree together, be together. Baby, there's no better gift. And now that I have you here, that's when I feel it the most."

You make your way into town, stopping at a coffee shop to get a quick coffee to go. But, the place is absolutely mobbed.

"Geez. Only in LA," you say to yourself. You're trying to get through the crowded doorway when a man comes up behind you, frantic. "Excuse me. My boss will kill me if I'm late!" In a frenzy, he accidentally pushes into you, sending you stumbling out the doorway.

But, to your relief, two strong arms catch you from behind, holding you steady. "Careful!"

But, when you turn around and finally notice the man in front of you, your eyes widen. "Mac. It's been..."

"A long time," he finishes, looking just as surprised.

"Yeah."

"What are you doing here?"

"I'm, getting a coffee like all the other 10,000 people here," you joke.

"Right. I mean, what are you doing in LA?"

"I just moved here actually. It's my first day." You stare awkwardly at each other as the rest of the world bustles around you. Finally, you break the tension, "I should, um, get going."

"Right. Good to see you."

"You too."

"Wait, aren't you going to get your coffee?"

You look down at your watch. "I'm actually already running late."

You nearly trip again as you turn around, giving Mac one last look. Ughhhh. You mentally slap yourself once you're out of eye shot. Could that have been any more weird?