"DNA"

A/N: Hello all! How are you guys doing? I hope your summer is going well. This idea has been in the works for quite some time, and I finally put it all together. As always, I hope you enjoy it! 🤎 🧬
Song: "DNA" by Little Mix
Rating: Everyone

***

Feelings are weird. In fact, I remember Mac saying once, "Feelings aren't a science," and he was right on the money. When he and I first met, we both knew we had a definite spark. But, for the longest time, we were both single and too afraid to share our feelings for one another. Then came Desi, and Mac fell head over heels. I spent months pining over him and fighting instant nausea every time I saw them together. I know that sounds harsh and that I had my chance with him, but it killed me to see them together. But, then I met Mark, my current boyfriend, about a month before Mac and Desi inevitably broke up.

Mac and I have been dancing around our feelings for one another for years out of pure fear of losing each other. Now he's single, but I'm in a relationship. Mark is an amazing man. He makes me happy, but I still can't help but wonder what could have been if Mac and I would have just put our fear aside and taken a leap years ago... before Desi, before Mark, before... all of it.

"Y/N? Hello?" Riley's voice harshly interrupts my thoughts.

"Yep, I'm here." I turn my head as she sits on the War Room couch next to me. I couldn't help my straying thoughts since I was the first to arrive here this morning, left with nothing to do but sit here on the couch and wait for everyone else.

"Where were you just now?"

"Zoned out, I guess."

"Mhm." But, she's not convinced. Her eyebrows hike upward, seriously unbelieving. Soon, Mac walks in, with Matty barreling in last - clothed with a somber expression. Although she tends to only have the one expression when it comes to new mission briefings, today it seems worse than usual.

Still, she greets us with the usual formalities, "Morning, everyone. Let's get to work."

"What about Bozer and Desi?" I wonder, pointing out that they still haven't arrived.

"I don't need them for this mission - just the three of you." She taps the big screen, and a man's picture pops up - he must be about middle-aged, thin, blonde hair with grey around the temples. "A bioterrism agent has been stolen from a government lab in Austria. We've identified this man as the culprit."

Mac grabs a paperclip from the bowl situated on the coffee table, begins to twist it absentmindedly, and queries, "What's the agent? Anthrax? Smallpox?"

"Marburg virus."

"Yikes. That's unusual."

"Yes. But, it's very effective considering it has an extremely high mortality rate, is highly virulent, and has no known cure."

"I'm sorry, what is Marburg virus?" I interrupt Mac and Matty's back and forth banter, never having heard of this particular organism before.

"It causes hemorrhagic fever in primates, including humans," Mac explains. "It originates from fruit bats."

I still clarify, "So, it's similar to Ebola?"

"In a sense, yes."

"Why does this guy want it?" Riley wonders out loud.

"A Global Peace Summit is being held in the Ukraine this week. Our resources believe he's going to release it there."

"Why?"

This man is a silent member of a radical group that calls themself The Titans. They are extremely antigovernment and 'anti-peace,' so to speak. They believe in pure anarchy."