"Don't Give Up On Me"

A/N: Hello lovelies! So, I actually got two different requests to use this song by Andy Grammer. Big thanks to mysticallyWONDERFUL for the song request and to random_fan_101 for requesting the song AND the story idea. Also, since it's been forever since I posted (sorry!), I tried to make it a long one. 😉 Love you guys! 💙
Rating: Everyone

***

"Are you kidding me?" you groan loudly, slamming the refrigerator door shut.

"What's wrong?" you hear Mac ask from behind you, and you whirl around.

"How do we not have any alcohol in this place? I thought you picked something up?"

"Ah man, I forgot. Sorry."

"Everyone will be here in an hour, and we have no booze. That is a major fail."

Mac can't help but chuckle at your intense reaction. "You're right. It's disgraceful," he teases. "Do you want me to run out and get some?"

"No, it's fine," you submit. "I'll go. You stay here in case I'm not back before everyone gets here."

You quickly grab your purse and your keys and give Mac a quick peck on the cheek before reaching for the front door knob. "I'll be back in a flash."

You dash out the door just as Mac yells in your direction, "Drive safe."

***

Riding down the road, you roll down the windows, feeling the warm California breeze softly rustle your hair and graze your skin. The sky is turning a faint pink as it nears dusk, the sun just starting to sink into the horizon. It's a fairly short drive to the liquor store, but you always take every chance you get to take the time to just enjoy the moment.

As you drive, the little picture hanging around your rear view mirror gently sways in the breeze. It's a picture of you and Mac attached to a heart-shaped paperclip and hung by some string. It was such a simple gift from Mac but possibly the most special one he's ever given you.

Finally entering into town, you come to a stop just as the yellow traffic light in front of you turns red.

Taking the opportunity, you tinker with the old radio in your car. The dumb thing is quite fickle and loves to cut out. Mac has fixed it numerous times, but it just seems to have a mind of its own lately.

Pushing some buttons and turning the dial just right usually does the trick. "Ah, there it is.
Y/N: 1; Radio: 0. You won't win today," you tease in a horrible attempt to trash-talk your radio.

You turn up the volume on a 90s station that's currently spinning "I want it that way...." You hum along, and glance up just as the traffic light turns from red to green. So, letting up on the brake, you accelerate into the intersection.

That's when it happens.

For a moment, you think time actually stands still. And yet, it all happens so fast that it doesn't even seem real.

It's like time stops and skips all at the same time.

Sensing something very wrong is about to happen, your head jolts to the right only to see a truck barreling your way. But, before you can react, the sound of metal on metal erupts through the air. Your body jerks with a forceful impact, followed by the sound of glass breaking and wheels screeching.

...

Then, everything stops.

The atmosphere fills with an eerie silence. But, your mind reels, a thousand images passing by.