"Don't Take the Girl"

A/N: Hey lovely people! Here's a new one for you! This feels like a special one for me. I heard this song for the first time in a long time, and this story just started to unfold in my mind. As always, I hope you like it! 💜
Song: "Don't Take the Girl" by Tim McGraw
Rating: Everyone

***Mac's POV***

"Johnny's daddy, was takin' him fishing when he was eight years old. A little girl came through the front gate holdin' a fishin' pole. His dad looked down and smiled, said 'We can't leave her behind. Son I know you don't want her to go. But, someday you'll change your mind.'"

"Angus, did you remember your bait?" my dad asks as he finishes loading up the truck. "I'd hate for you to have to go digging for worms like the last time."

"Yes, Dad. Besides, I've been doing a lot of research, and I could actually make bait a lot quicker than searching for worms."

"That I would love to see, actually. Looks like you've learned a lot between the ages of 7 and 8 years old."

"You're right. Worms are for the seven-year-old me. Now that I'm eight, I'm a lot smarter and more resourceful."

Dad just smiles, ruffling my heart slightly. "That I agree with."

The first fishing trip of the season is always my favorite. It's just a day out on the water, enjoying nature... and conducting a little scientific research at the same time. Excitedly, I examine the interior of the truck, packed with all the essentials. "Okay we have the fishing poles, bait, ..." I continue, checking each item off in my mind.

"Anything else we need?"

"Nope, I don't think so. Let's go!"

"Hey, wait!" As I'm jumping in Dad's truck, I hear a small female voice yell out from behind my back, and dread fills my stomach. I heave a sigh that I can't hide because my dad looks at me and raises his eyebrows disapprovingly.

As I roll my eyes, my Dad waves to the girl, smiling. "Hi, Y/N. How are you this morning?"

I can't help but notice she's carrying a fishing pole in her hands, and I feel like I'm about to explode.

"Good morning, Mr. MacGyver," she greets him in a sickeningly sweet tone. "I'm well, thank you. How are you?"

She's always so polite, and it kind of makes me sick.

She turns to me then and smiles, her freckled face beaming with her side braid swaying a little in the breeze. "Hi, Angus." Her cheeks grow rosy, and I think to myself, she's such a strange person.

I groan in response, refusing to speak, but my Dad nudges me. Finally, I succumb, "Hi."

"Y/N, you're just in time," my Dad admits with a smile, and my head whips around in his direction. "Why don't you put your pole in the back and hop in? We're about to leave."

I'm so upset that I nearly stutter, "W-Wait a second, is she going with us?!"

Ever since this girl moved in next door to us about a year ago, she has been a thorn in my side. But, as she moves along, pretending she didn't hear my most recent comment, my dad pulls me aside.

"And Johnny said, 'Take Jimmy Johnson. Take Tommy Thompson. Take my best friend, Bo. Take anybody that you want as long as she don't go. Take any boy in the world. Daddy please, don't take the girl."

Knowing that an entire lecture is about to commence, I cut him off and beg, "Dad, please don't torture me by bringing her. She's been trying to be my friend since she moved in, and she's always trying to get me to do stuff with her. It's so.... weird. We can take anyone else. Ask Bozer to go! But, please don't take her with us."