"Light On"

A/N: Holy wow! Guys! I just saw that I've gotten over 100k reads on this book. Thank you all so, so much for your undying and fierce support. It means the absolute world to me!!!!!💜 With that said, this next one is a second part to my story titled "How To Save a Life." I kept getting a bunch of requests for a second part, so here you go! Love you guys! 💜💜💜
Song: "Light On" by Maggie Rogers
Rating: Everyone

***

"Would you believe me now if I told you I got caught up in a wave? Almost gave it away. Would you hear me out if I told you I was terrified for days? Thought I was gonna break."

It's been a few months since you started treatment at a local mental health clinic. You were skeptical at first, sure, but you found a new sense of hope in the support you gained and the coping skills that you were learning.

But, as time went on, you started to feel yourself slowly unraveling under the surface. It feels like you're constantly stuck in a storm as it brews within you, leaving just slight intermissions of sunlight to poke through before the clouds overcome you again. Just when you think the storm is over for good, a new wave comes crashing over you that you never saw coming.

Sure, you're no stranger to the stigma surrounding mental health. While the world is slowly beginning to understand its etiology and gain empathy in the process, there are still far too many myths that can't seem to be busted. Too many people expect that therapy is a quick fix. You won't lie - even you thought it would be at first.

You know... talk to some shrink about your problems... take a few pills.... force yourself to dig into the painful parts of your past... yada yada ...

But, you always imagined there would eventually be an end point. You're starting to realize that's not the case.

So, at the time being, you're staying at Mac's place with him and his friend Bozer. When you started seeking treatment, Mac offered for you to move in even though you and he still didn't know much about one another. And of course there's always the elephant in the room.... Is there something going on between you that's more than friendship?

The short answer is yes... at least you think so. But, the truth is that now is no time for making big relationship commitments. You know you have to focus on yourself for a while.

But, Mac is your safe harbor. He's been the only person who can consistently calm you when you're weathering one of those internal storms.

So, while your relationship remains otherwise undefined, he's undoubtedly the most important person in your life.

***

"Oh, I couldn't stop it. Tried to slow it all down. Crying in the bathroom. Had to figure it out with everyone around me saying 'You must be so happy now.'"

Today, you're sitting uncomfortably in your therapist's office in pure silence, staring out the window.

She sits across from you, just waiting for you to speak. But, you feel like you've run out of things to talk about, and it seems like it's getting you nowhere. You start to truly wonder, Is this even worth it anymore?

"So, how is the job hunt going?" she finally asks you, trying her best to direct the conversation.

For a while now, you've been doing a lot of job searching. You obviously didn't get a very good recommendation from your previous boss after the way things ended there. That's proven to be quite the hinderance while finding a new employer.

"Not much luck yet."

"Well, don't lose hope," she assures. She quickly surveys your appearance and demeanor before telling you, "You look well."