"Rumor"

A/N: Hi all! So, this song was one of those where I heard it and I immediately knew I needed to write a story about it. It's called "Rumor," and it's by Lee Brice. I hope you guys like the story! Happy reading! 😁📖
Rating: Everyone

***

"There's a rumor going 'round about me and you. It's been stirring up our little town the last week or two. So tell me why we're even trying to deny this feeling. I feel it. Don't  you feel it too?"

It's been a week since your team added a new member. Jack's leaving was really hard on everyone, but Desi seems to be really great at her job.

She just may not be the best at socializing.

So, you're determined to break the ice with her, and today is the perfect opportunity. You and Desi have been teamed up on a mission, and right now you are on watch while you wait for Mac and Riley to return.

Sitting in the passenger's seat of your look-out car, an awkward silence falls between you and Desi, who is sitting in the driver's seat next to you.

"Soooo, Desi...," you start, determined to lighten the mood. "Um, you said that you've known Jack a while. He never talked about you."

"Yeah, well. That doesn't surprise me."

"....So, you know, the rest of us are hanging out this weekend. You should come too."

"You know, you don't have to do this," Desi replies plainly. "The small talk, that is. Actually, it's best if you don't. I don't like to get attached to the people I work with."

Okkaaayy then.

Unsure of what to say to that, you choose, "You know - our team - we're all really close, and no matter what you think, after some time I think you'll learn that. You can't be scared of feelings forever."

You can sense her disgust because she gives you an annoyed stare. "I get it, but I think you'll learn that's just not how I work."

A heaviness consumes the car as you sit in sheer silence. The awkwardness of the moment penetrates the air like a dull knife. You glance out the window in attempt to put your mind somewhere else. Well, this is completely awkward.

Trying to concentrate on something else, you tap your fingers on the side of your door. Desi looks over at you after a moment, obviously irritated. You can feel her eyes roll before she speaks.

"Fine, I guess if you wanna talk, let's talk."

"Really?" You raise your eyebrows in question.

"Yep. If it gets you to stop that annoying tapping."

Wow, rude.

Desi considers for a moment before saying, "As much as I love you trying to psychoanalyze me, there's something I've been wondering about you."

"Oh, okay," you reply wearily.

"What's the deal with you and MacGyver?"

"What?" You ask, genuinely confused. "What are you talking about?"

"Oh, okay," she replies sarcastically. "Are people not supposed to know about you two?"

"Okay, I think I'm missing something here. What exactly do you mean?" you ask, more puzzled.

Desi's eyes narrow as she realizes that you really don't know what she's alluding to. "Wait, so you and Mac aren't a thing?"

"What?! No, I mean —- no! Why would you think that?"