"Fine Tune"

A/N: Hello lovely people! Happy Fall! 🍁 I know I've been MIA lately, but I've been a little low on inspiration and preoccupied with lots of other things. Thank you for being patient! I'm just going to let this one speak for itself.... 😉😘
Song: "Fine Tune" by Miranda Lambert
Rating: Mature Sexual Content

***

Growing up, your parents taught you a handful of principles to always remember in life... Be kind, love fully, always tell the truth, try your hardest in everything you do - you know, the usual.

Oh yeah, and one more thing.... If you're going to throw a surprise birthday party, you better do it right.

So, that's why you're up at nearly the crack of dawn to prepare for your best friend, Riley's, birthday party tonight. The first thing on your agenda is to make the birthday cake, and honestly that's not much of a challenge considering baking is what you do for a living. In fact, you've been baking since you were old enough to hold a spoon. You always dreamt of having your own store, and after years of dedication, you own a very successful bakery downtown. So, the cake is no issue. It's the remainder of the party planning that can be a bit taxing.

Once the vanilla and chocolate batters are mixed and the marble cake is in the oven, you start on the buttercream frosting.

As you're doing so, you hear the door open from down the hall. The loud noise from the mixer must have woken Mac.

But, you're too in the zone to notice when he walks through the kitchen and up behind you.

Nearly startling you, you feel him wrap his strong arms around your waist, pulling you back against his bare chest, so warm and solid.

"It smells so good in here."

You smile, putting a bit of icing on your finger. "Taste this for me?"

He licks the icing off your finger, his lips lingering there for a moment. "Amazing." Brushing your hair to the side, he kisses the side of your neck. "Speaking of amazing....last night was incredible."

"Mhmm," is all you say, keeping to your work.

"I mean... you were mind blowing."

"You want breakfast?" you quickly interject, trying to change the subject.

"I'd rather have you," he whispers in your ear.

But, you unexpectedly push him back, adverting your eyes.

"What's wrong?"

You turn in the other direction, placing some dishes in the sink. You sigh heavily. You have to tell him.

You wince as you admit, "Last night, I may have... kind of... slightly......faked it."

"I've been missing all the vital signs that I needed for love to work. Engine of a heart that would not start. Had to jump it so much it hurt."

It takes a moment for Mac to respond. He stands there puzzled. That's clearly not what he expected you to say.

"Wait, hold on? Are you kidding?" It finally seems to really set in. "You faked it?!"

"Don't freak out so much! It's not a big deal."

"Not a big deal? Of course it's a big deal," he refutes in aggravation. "And exactly how many other times have you been faking it?!"

You roll your eyes. "Can you please calm down? I didn't mean to tarnish your manhood," you tell him sarcastically. He's clearly overreacting.

He sits on a stool, defeated. You never thought you would deflate his ego so badly by admitting the truth. Maybe you should have just let it go. But, your stupid conscience had to intervene.