"Wonder"

A/N: Hello lovely people! I'm back with another one. This story is a request from Miss_Sociopath . I had to pair it with one of my favorite new SM songs! 😉 Also, as you can probably tell from the picture ☝️, Jack makes a comeback in this one! 🤗 I hope you enjoy it!
Song: "Wonder" by Shawn Mendes
Rating: Everyone

***

It's been 72 straight grueling hours of tracking down a terrorist group you and the Phoenix Foundation have been after for ten months now. You climb the stairs to your and Riley's fifth-story apartment. As soon as your body hits the couch, you're pretty sure you'll never get up again.

With a sigh, you beg, "After that, I need comfy PJs, pizza, ice cream, and Netflix for the next week."

"That was the mission from hell," Riley agrees as she follows your lead and plops down onto the sofa.

You rub your throbbing neck and arm muscles. "Everything in my body hurts. But, I swear Mac never seizes to surprise me. I will never know how he came up with that idea to get us out of there."

"...And look good while doing it?" she suggests coyly.

You turn your eyes her way, scolding, and she arches her eyebrows in amusement.

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Y/N, stop kidding yourself. You practically have heart eyes every time you look at him."

You roll your eyes in her direction. "If I wasn't so damn tired, I'd punch you right now." She chuckles in response, and you reassure her, "It's just a little crush."

"Ha. Little crush? A little crush doesn't last for nearly a year."

"I don't date people I work with."

"Well, whenever we finally close the book on this open-ended mission, you'll go back to the CIA, so you two won't be working together anymore."

"I wonder if I'm being real. Do I speak my truth, or do I filter how I feel? I wonder, wouldn't it be nice to live inside a world that isn't black and white? I wonder what it's like to be my friends. I hope that they don't think I'll forget about them. I wonder. I wonder."

Your face falls when you think about leaving the team at the Phoenix - all the people who have become such good friends over the past several months. "But, that creates even more problems. I'll go back to my home agency, and we'll hardly see each other." You sigh. "Sometimes I hate this entire situation. When Jack convinced Matty to recruit me for this one mission with the Phoenix, I thought it would take maybe a month tops. I never thought nearly a year later we'd still be tracking down this terrorist group."

"No one knew how huge this group was or how hard it would be to pinpoint all of its members."

"It's just, I've known Jack for a long time - ever since I joined the CIA. He's like a dad to me. Of course I wanted to help when he reached out and said the Phoenix needed connections outside of their agency. But, now that I'm close to everyone here, you all feel like my family. Especially you, Riles. You were kind enough to let me stay here with you, and now you practically feel like my sister. I don't want to have to say goodbye."

She smiles a melancholy grin. "I know what you mean."

***

The next day, after some much-appreciated rest and relaxation, you and Riley meet Jack for pizza at your typical place. You were hesitant when they asked you to join their tradition. But, now months later, it feels right. You couldn't imagine not doing this all the time.