Chapter 2

A few years passed and Hinari was now four years old. Despite her limitations, she had managed her life well so far. Her brother Shisui had supported her a lot and gave her as much love as he could. Especially during the time when her parents were killed by the Kyuubi attack. Hinari had seen it despite the many shadows. She had been able to perceive a lot and even if something like that would never work, she had gotten a sting in her eyes. The kind of stinging that you only get when a lot of emotions are poured into an Uchiha. Hinari had realized that people were dying around her and so she had been able to feel the emotions of loss. And so, unfortunately, did the loss of her parents, whom she hardly ever got to see.

Shisui had tried to teach her as much about chakra as possible during this time. Nevertheless, he could not ask too much of his sister. After all, she was a small child of the same age as Sasuke. Even though he loved his sister more than anything, he could hardly let her out of the house.

Many in the Uchiha clan knew about Hinari. However, no one wanted the little girl to leave the neighborhood. It was rare for her to be allowed out, and if so, only with an escort. No one was allowed to see that Hinari was blind. For many Uchiha, it was a disgrace to have such a disease.

But everyone knew that they had the same problem as soon as they had awakened the Mangekyou Sharingan. As soon as you got this ability, you had to have two other eyes to compensate for your vision. That way you could avoid blindness. But what could you do if your normal eyes were already blind?

Fugaku Uchiha had nothing against Hinari. She was a sweet and cheerful girl. He knew what Shisui was doing and hoped that one day she would be able to walk around on her own. That her blindness would no longer affect her. That one day, despite everything, a cure could be found. But until then, the people of Konoha were not allowed to know about it. The Hokage himself knew about it and accepted the clan leader's request.

Fugaku had instructed his son Sasuke to keep an eye on little Hinari. She often came to visit when Shisui was on a mission. Itachi hadn't seen much of the girl. He had been too busy to think about why there was a war. He had a goal that only Shisui knew. Itachi wanted to bring peace and hoped that one day he would achieve this goal.

Although Sasuke knew about Hinari, he behaved as he did with many other people. He played with her as he should, helping her when she couldn't see or feel objects right away. Sasuke had quickly realized that she could see things depending on the lighting conditions or movements. He always had to smile when the girl tilted her head slightly or turned to the side. His smile grew bigger when Hinari was happy to have done it herself. She happily told him about it every time. What they said about her was true. Hinari was a little ray of sunshine, just as her name suggested.

"Hinari, are you staying for dinner?" asked Mikoto, Sasuke's mother, who crouched slightly in front of the girl so that she could see her face. Hinari, however, had long known what Mikoto looked like. She had already looked at every corner with her eyes many times. But she didn't know that she could see more with her awakened Sharingan.

Her brother had forbidden her to show it. She should grow older and only then use her ability. Using up the chakra permanently would damage her body. And so she had to learn to see without Sharingan, which was working pretty well so far.

 "Isn't Shisui coming?" the four-year-old asked and Mikoto looked at her with a smile. "I think his mission will take a little longer than planned. I'm sure he'll be glad if you've already eaten something when he gets back."

"Yes, Hinari, why don't you stay?" Sasuke asked happily. This way he could spend a little more time with her today than the other days. A smile crept onto her face. She simply couldn't refuse the offer. Mikoto's food was simply too good and so the girl nodded. "Mom, you can make her those delicious onigiris she likes so much." Sasuke said, making Mikoto laugh a little.

"I was planning to make some either way." The Uchiha smiled and gave them both a little kiss on the head. Although Hinari no longer had parents, she found that Mikoto was a good surrogate mother for her. She gave the girl so much love, which she would have liked to have from her own mother. But she would never forget that feeling when she was born. No one could replace the love of her biological mother.