Chapter 96

About two years passed in which Hinari completed missions with her friends. One in particular remained in her memory, as Naruto had finally managed to realize that Hinata loved him. Getting the Hyuga off the moon was not that easy, but together as a team they had managed it.

When Hinari came of age, something happened that she hadn't expected. Shikamaru had asked her into the forest, which she was very confused about. He had been waiting for her on the bench where they always met and looked quite nervous. Hinari was not used to the Nara getting nervous. He was usually quite calm and always looked annoyed. "Are you alright?" she asked her friend, who exhaled softly. "Yes, actually, I am."

There was silence for a moment until Shikamaru stood up and took Hinari's hands in his. He didn't know if it was really the right time, but he was quite sure that he wanted to spend his life with her. "Shikamaru?"

The Nara gritted his teeth for a moment and looked into her eyes. "How annoying..." he muttered quietly as he tried to find the words. Hinari looked at her boyfriend, slightly amused. "What's annoying?" she asked, feeling a gentle handshake. "What I'm doing and saying now. Why do you even do that..."

Hinari didn't know exactly what he was trying to say and waited until he was ready. A few seconds later, Shikamaru sank to his knees and Hinari's eyes widened. Wait, was he about to do something that wasn't typical of Shikamaru?! Hinari swallowed hard and looked at her boyfriend, who had lowered his head slightly and was blushing. He felt pretty stupid.

"Hinari I..." he began and was immediately interrupted by her. "Are you sure you want to do this? That's not like you at all." Hinari said, slightly amused, and Shikamaru gritted his teeth again. "Yes, I'm sure, but keep your mouth shut..." he grumbled, slightly annoyed. Why did she have to remind him that he would never do such a thing? He had briefly considered doing it with a shogi game, but Ino and his mother would rip his head off if he did.

"Okay..." Hinari mumbled and just waited. However, her heart was beating faster than before. She knew what he was up to and didn't need words to get an answer. However, she realized that he wanted to try and was touched that Shikamaru wanted to show such feelings for her. "I'm really an idiot to do that..." Shikamaru spoke softly, exhaling and pulling himself together.

"When I saw you for the first time at the academy, you aroused my interest. You were like a puzzle that I wanted to solve because you had a big secret. I watched you and tried to learn what was going on inside you. You were different right from the start. To be honest, I didn't think I was so interested in you that I would eventually fall in love with you. You were never annoying, you thought about a lot of things and even though you were blind, you just stayed you." Shikamari started talking and stopped, because he kept feeling stupid.

"Shikamaru, you don't have to keep talking. I'm going to get married like this too." , Hinari said with amusement and got an incredulous look from him. "What..." "To be honest, I can't really take you seriously when you talk about feelings like that. Actually, it would have been enough if you had asked me, slightly annoyed, what you were like. Well, or in a game of shogi." Hinari smiled, making Shikamaru's heart beat faster.

Had he really just been thinking so much when he didn't have to? He really was an idiot. "So?" Hinari asked with amusement, which was why he took out the casket, looked at his girlfriend and simply did what a Nara would do. "Hinari, would you be my wife?" Shikamaru asked in a tone Hinari had been waiting for. His eyes went slightly past her to avoid this emotional chaos. "Of course I do. ", Hinari smiled, which made Shikamaru exhale and put the ring on her, finally standing up.

At that moment, Hinari pulled the Nara close to kiss him. When she thought about it, it was the place where they had first kissed and confessed their love. Smiling, Hinari broke away from him and looked into his eyes. "I love you just the way you are Shikamaru. So just stop these emotional conversations." The Uchiha grinned.

"Don't you dare change yourself because of it. You are and always will be Shikamaru Nara, who is mostly just annoyed." Relieved, Shikamaru pulled his fiancée closer to kiss her this time. Thank God Hinari wasn't that complicated when it came to such things and he wouldn't have embarrassed himself even more.