Chapter 12

The days passed and Sasuke had been allowed to train with his father from time to time. Fugaku wanted Sasuke to become as good as Itachi, which would never be possible. Nevertheless, he didn't want to give up.

Hinari, however, had spent most of her time with Itachi when he had time for her. The grief that surrounded her had not stopped for a long time. But knowing why Shisui died gave her a little comfort. The hole in her heart was not filled because of this. Although Hinari had the time to grieve, she knew what would happen soon. She would never have thought that the Uchiha would feel so misunderstood and attack Konoha. Despite the fact that the Uchiha were part of the police force, they were not often needed. The Anbu unit had taken over the many missions, which Fugaku did not agree with.

Hinari could understand her clan. Nevertheless, she had the same thoughts as Shisui and Itachi. War was no solution. Especially not in Konoha itself. If other villages became aware of it, there would be an even bigger war. It would be like a hamster wheel that kept spinning and nobody could do anything.

The young Uchiha knew that Itachi would soon have no more time to act. As the spy between the Hokage and the clan, he knew best. He was the victim who had to take on the terrible task. Why was no one from the Anbu unit used, but a good soul? Why did Itachi have to act? Yes, Hinari knew he wanted peace, but telling Sasuke that he would slaughter everyone to test his power was the wrong thing to do. Unfortunately, Hinari couldn't persuade her big brother, as she called him after Shisui's death, to act differently. Itachi had made up his mind, and for the good of everyone in Konoha.

When the day came and evening fell, Hinari stayed in the Uchiha quarter while Sasuke was training. She had told him that she wasn't feeling too well and wanted to rest. It wasn't really a lie. Hinari really didn't feel well, especially because she knew what was going to happen today. It was good that Sasuke wasn't here.

The moon shone brightly in the sky and for Hinari it seemed as if she had been born on just such an evening. She tried to block out the noises she heard from outside as best she could. She knew that one by one an Uchiha was falling. Hinari not only knew it, she felt it through her ever-smaller chakras.

Itachi was close by and only had a few people left to kill. If he had counted correctly, only two would be missing. His parents.

When he arrived at the house, he saw the two of them kneeling down. Did they know what he was up to? "I..." "We know why you're doing it. We're proud of you." Fugaku only said. Itachi clutched his katana, crying. His hands were shaking. He didn't want to do it, but he had to. "Take good care of Hinari and Sasuke." Mikoto asked her son. "I will..." Itachi breathed before he swung his katana.

"Itachi-Nii." The man addressed raised his head. "Hinari I..." "Take care of yourself." she said, causing Itachi to shed even more tears. He couldn't take her with him. Madara was far too dangerous for her. "I'll come by one day." he promised and was interrupted by a call.

Sasuke, who had just come home, was in a panic. There was blood everywhere, from the people he knew. Everyone from the clan was lying lifeless on the floor. He recognized his uncle and aunt among the dead. What had happened here?

The further he walked, the more panicked he became. Now he had only one thought. His own family and Hinari. He ran as fast as he could to his home. He couldn't stop himself from calling out to them. When he arrived, he froze. "Itachi, brother, what happened here?" the boy asked and pulled little Hinari, who was standing next to him, close to him. "You little stupid brother. I killed everyone." "What, I don't believe you!"

Itachi opened his eyes and shot a kunai at him. He wanted to make him realize that he was the bad guy. He wanted to show Sasuke a completely different image of him, which was slowly but surely working. "I will protect Hinari!" Sasuke shouted determinedly, making Itachi grin. He had to look at his brother like that, but inside he was relieved that he wouldn't leave Hinari alone. Itachi was also glad that Hinari didn't have to see anything with her eyes.

Hinari remained silent while the brothers talked to each other. It hurt her heart to know that Sasuke would hate his brother. If only he knew. Her thoughts were not only on this evening. To be honest, she was glad that Shisui no longer had to experience this. Nevertheless, he would certainly have found another solution with Itachi. But this remained a mystery forever.

The cool night wind blew through her hair as they finally landed in the alleys. Sasuke refused to accept that Itachi was the murderer. The more he was rejected by his brother, the more Sasuke knew that this was the truth.

Gasping, he fell to his knees when Itachi put him in a genjutsu and twisted the truth. He showed his little brother what he had done and that he had always thought him weak. "One day, when you have gained strength, we will meet again." Itachi said in a cool tone.

"What you have to do until then, however, is to betray a friend." he added to show Sasuke how to get his Sharingan. But this was a lie. You didn't have to betray a friend, Hinari knew that. "Brother...why...?" Sasuke breathed before he sank into the darkness.

Tears fell from Itachi's eyes as he saw his brother lying on the ground. Hinari, who had knelt down next to him, raised her head. It wouldn't have been necessary to put Sasuke into a genjutsu, but if Itachi hadn't done so, Sasuke would have run after him. "I'm sorry, Hinari." Itachi breathed before he finally left the Uchiha quarter.