Chapter 13

Since that day, Sasuke had changed. Itachi had actually managed to instill so much hatred in him that the Uchiha had become more dismissive. His curt and cool answers were hurtful to many. But not for Hinari, who shared an apartment with him. She knew why he was like that and had never said much about it. To protect Itachi's plan, she had to keep her mouth shut.

At the academy, Hinari had always been able to cheat her way through without her blindness being noticed. But she didn't know how much longer she could keep it a secret. She was afraid of how her comrades would react.

Although Sasuke showed his cool demeanor, he never did so with Hinari. He had sworn to protect her from Itachi and everything else. He had to become stronger to be able to kill his brother.

Sasuke knew that Hinari already possessed the Mangekyou Sharingan, but she couldn't show it openly. He didn't even know if the Hokage knew about it. Hinari had become like a sister to him, who had been with him during the massacre and had thankfully survived. If he had lost her too, Sasuke would not have known what to do next.

As always, Hinari sat next to him at the school table and waited until the lesson started. Today was another day of fighting, and once again she didn't know what to do about it. In the past, Iruka had been able to keep her out of the fights without noticing anything. But since the genin exam was coming up soon, she had to go through it for better or worse.

Hinari had long since ignored the bickering between Ino and Sakura. Sasuke was right, it did get quite annoying in the long run. However, she heard the loud shouts and couldn't permanently block them out like Sasuke.

She had to rely on sounds, smells and movements. Her eyes didn't reveal much of the world to her. Over the years, however, she could at least see faces when she was approached. During this time, she hadn't missed Shikamaru watching her from time to time. It didn't really bother her, but Hinari had the feeling that he knew. If so, why didn't he speak to her about it?

When Iruka started the lesson, she had seen the look on his face. She realized that he was worried about the fight. Unfortunately, he could no longer prevent it and so Hinari waited until the time had come. Today she would know what the others would think of her if they noticed her limitation. The closer the lesson came, the more she worried.

After the break, the students stood in the square behind the building. Hinari watched every single fight, especially the fight between Sasuke and Naruto. Just like years ago, Sasuke had won, which the Uzumaki didn't like at all. Hinari had to admit that Naruto wasn't as bad as everyone said. Even though he was loud and liked to play pranks, he was a nice and cheerful boy. Why had she never spoken to him before? What she had wanted to do years ago had taken a back seat.

"Hinari Uchiha versus Ino Yamanaka." , the Uchiha heard and swallowed slightly. She knew the abilities of the Yamanaka clan. If she could control her body, then Ino knew that she could hardly see anything. Did Ino even know this ability yet?

"I finally get to see you fight." Ino said happily and stood opposite the Uchiha. After all these years, she could finally see who Hinari really was. "Remember, it's just a practice match." Iruka said sternly, as he could see the look on Ino's face.

At the same time, the girls raised their fingers to start the fight. Hinari was the first to attack and strike. Ino fended it off as best she could and saw that Hinari's pupils were not focused on her. Now that she thought about it, she had never been able to see her eyes from so close. Gray spots adorned her black eyes, like a blurry film.

Ino quickly took her distance and raised both her arms upwards. She whispered her jutsu quietly so that her classmates couldn't hear. No one except Choji and Shikamaru should know what she could already do.

For a brief moment, Hinari hadn't been paying attention and with the edge of her eye, she recognized a finger sign that she had never seen. Shortly afterwards, she felt another body inside her and threw it out again with tremendous force. Panting from this strength, Ino exhaled. Never before had anyone been able to free themselves from this jutsu so quickly. Her own body had not even managed to reach the ground. But there was one thing she had realized in that second.

"You're blind Hinari!" she exclaimed and saw her classmates' eyes widen. Sasuke and Shikamaru alone showed no reaction. Did Shikamaru already know about this? Since when! Ino could understand it with Sasuke, as they had known each other for years. But she was surprised that Shikamaru had never said anything. He probably didn't want anyone to know. Typical Nara, ignoring it and simply showing no interest.

"Is that true?" asked Kiba, who was standing next to the shy Hinata. Hinari swallowed slightly. Those looks stabbed deep into her back. It was a crushing feeling. They did not accept her blindness. "Yes, it's true." she said resolutely. It was clear that she had to say it. Sasuke wouldn't have done it for her, it was her secret that she had to reveal herself.

Whispers could be heard and apart from Sasuke, Shikamaru was the only one who didn't seem to mind. He had probably already known. That was why he had been watching her. His analysis was exactly what you would expect from a Nara. But she also noticed one chakra in particular.

Naruto Uzumaki felt no pity for her. He accepted her even though she was blind. He realized that Hinari was similar to him. Different from other residents in Konoha. He would never judge her.