68

Criminal Minds
season 9 episode 8

Criminal Mindsseason 9 episode 8

The Return
🔍

Lindsey took a sip of her coffee. This was her second cup and most likely wouldn't be her last. It had been a long night at the LAPD. A gunman had shot and killed 3 people inside a diner not far from the department.

The gunman was taken down by an off-duty officer who just happened to be in the diner. They had thought they were clear. That they had gotten their guy, but security footage from an ATM across the street told them that there was more to the story.

It had captured an image of the shooter getting out a a vehicle moments before the shooting. It also captured the driver of the vehicle who sped off after dropping off the shooter.

They had gotten a match from the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. Their shooter was 16 year old Gavin Rossler and he had went missing 4 years ago.

She walked past the desks and into the room where her team had started setting up. "Looks like there was no connection between our three victims." Penelope said from her spot at the table. Lindsey joined her at the table while Spencer said, "It looks as though he was born into a high risk lifestyle. Dad's been incarcerated since Gavin was 4."

"And, on two separate occasions he was removed from his mother's custody and placed in foster care." Lindsey added, taking another sip of her coffee. "Well, despite all that, he managed to get good grades." Alex said, her eyes staying on the file in her hands.

"So 4 years ago-why did he choose that day to leave?" JJ asked and Alex answered, "Well, that's if he left by choice."

Clearing his throat, Derek said, "The mom's boyfriend moved in a couple weeks prior. Maybe he and Gavin were bumping heads. I mean, things might have even gotten physical between the two of them." Rossi nodded, "Yeah, at one point mom admitted that she and prince charming had been out on a binge for a couple of days."

"Which means Gavin would have been left home alone to fend for himself. And i'm sure that wasn't the first time. Maybe he just had enough." Lindsey said.

"This kids from Garfield Park. That's prime gang territory. If he was left from sunup to sundown, chances are he fell in with the wrong crowd." Derek told them. Continuing he said, "It makes sense. I mean, the kid runs away from home and finds himself out on the street. Then some knucklehead gangbangers come along, recruit him, and promise him protection. Next thing you know. He's got the "family" that he never had."

Hotch turned to Penelope, "We're gonna need a list of active gangs operating in the area...We need to hit the ground running. If this is some sort of mass gang initiation, it could be the first of a series of attacks."