42. Shock

Previously on The Divine Beauty- Apsara....

But she felt very sick all of a sudden... black spots blurred her vision. She felt as if the entire world was spinning...

She slowed down, trying to keep her eyes fixed at a place, but it was out of her control... it felt like someone was possessing her, controlling her soul. Her hands and legs turned weak, and she dropped the tumbler, causing it to shatter into a thousand pieces.

Following the fall of the glass, she collapsed on the floor, the images of the ceiling being the last thing she saw before she became unconscious...

.........

The only sounds that Mariam could hear was of a strained female voice, but as her senses slowly began giving in to the denseness of her mind, the voice became deeper and dragged.

......

A faint smell of freshly ground herbs and plants filled her nostrils as she took in a very deep breath. The muscles of her eyes moved, and she finally opened her eyes, adjusting her irises to the dim light of the lantern, after an hour of unconsciousness.

She finally got the strength to move her neck to see the people around her, and she ultimately realised that she was actually in the treatment room of the palace. The physician looked at her curiously, keeping aside the bowl of medicines on the side table. She noted that she was laid on the hospital bed. 

A wave of panic ran through her veins as she looked around to meet the eyes of a  worried Jamila, who, upon seeing that her colleague had woken up from her slumber, wrapped her hands around her wrists.

"Are you feeling better now, Mariam?" The doctor asked.

"How did I come here in the first place?" Mariam looked around, slightly shivering at the ambience of the room. She thought she'd come down with a serious illness.

"You'd fainted, Mariam... Jamila brought you here." The old man said.

"I guess you can take her back, make sure to take rest as well.." He added.

Mariam glanced at Jamila who had a very disappointed face, she reached out her hand, so that Mariam could get up from the cot. She greatly needed Jamila's support to walk, as she was too tired to even take a step.

Jamila put her arm on Mariam's shoulder as they walked out of the room.

There were too many questions, too many questions to be asked. Jamila found it difficult to support the weight of her body.

"What happened to me?" Mariam faintly asked.

"Let's get into the room first..." Jamila angrily replied.

"I need to know, Jamila!" She shouted at Jamila who had her eyebrows scrunched in anger.

"Show some respect, Mariam! I'm elder to you! Besides, do you want to wake everyone up by you creating a scene?" Jamila's tone was different from her usual caring one.

"It's not me, it's you who's creating a scene, Jamila! If I had collapsed on the floor, I am sure that the doctor must've said something..."

"Just come with me.." Jamila ordered.

.......

Jamila dragged her into their room, shutting the door as if she was fearing someone's presence.

"Jamila, why're you closing the door?" She asked, rushing towards the door to open it. Jamila forcefully pulled her away, to take a look at her face, which she, out of the blue, slapped, hard.