51. The Fight- I

Previously on The Divine Beauty- Apsara...

"You think women are lesser than you, right?" Shehryar asked.

"Absolutely!" Zayn said.

"Well, let's have a sword fight! And if I win, you would not get your weapons, and you'll say to everyone that women are better than men!"

"And if I win?" Zayn asked, quite ready to fight for the cause.

"The exact opposite..." She said cocking an eyebrow.

"But before that, let's have lunch together.." She smiled politely, clapping her hand.

____

The servants of the Pataudi castle began bringing trays of aromatic food, in rows. They took positions on the sides of the long wooden table, and gently placed Queen Shehryar's and her Lahori guest's lunch.

As the workers opened the lid of the dishes, a very strong smell filled the room, and Zayn looked at his aunt from the end of the table, cringing his nose at the familiar, yet foreign smell.

"It's saffron.... a cleanser of the blood and soul," She stated, as the servants served them rice. He observed that the entire meal had saffron sprinkled on it. He has had his food garnished with this pricey spice before in Lahore, but he hasn't had an full meal based on it.

It just added on to his Aunt's peculiar nature.

"You have an entire meal planned on one spice? Are you serious, Aunt Shehryar?" Zayn chuckled, mockingly speaking.

"Oh, yes Zayn... every particle of food you consume, makes you... from the time when you were just a spot, till your death.." Shehryar said her smart words.

Zayn eyed the food skeptically, not sure whether to taste the rice or not, but when he had his first mouthful, he relished the flavoured rice, closing his eyes to untangle the mysterious taste that the spice gave.

"Delicious, isn't it?" Shehryar said, and she actioned the servants to go away, with a flick of her wrist.

"Hmm.." He hummed, enjoying the taste.

"It purifies your blood from all its impurities, but I feel it also has the capability to purify your spirits, from all... negative thoughts.." Shehryar smirked, eyeing Zayn.

"It quickens your brain too," She added before he could reply. "You might require that since you will be having a tough time competing against me," Shehryar said as Zayn gritted his teeth, unable to withstand a woman's confidence to speak at his level of power.

"Aunt Shehryar, I can't stop you from building castles in the air, can I ?" Zayn asked, sipping water from the tumbler kept next to his plate.

Shehryar simply smiled, keeping her wise words to herself.

......

Apsara couldn't believe it! Her mother called her back.. she turned around and ran back towards her mother who stood by the door.

"Mother!" She exclaimed with joy.

"Get inside, but don't utter a word, unless you're spoken to..." She warned, and she finally got inside the house.

"I am letting you stay till your father's cremation, but you may go to whichever place you may like after that..." Her mother said, not looking into her eyes.

Apsara folded her hands, "That's more than enough..." She faintly spoke, shedding a few tears.

.......

"We will be starting the preparations for the fight, in a few moments..." Shehryar said after they finished their lunch, a quite heavy one, to be precise.