22. The Portrait +A/N

Apsara groaned as she felt a weak finger tapping on her arm, "Please wake up..." The female voice requested.

Finally, Apsara opened her eyes to see Jamila, holding a white envelope. Apsara sat on her bed, and looked around to see the room in its full brightness.

"I've got a letter for you," Jamila says while handing it over to Apsara.

"Who is it from?" Apsara asked in her morning voice, struggling to keep her eyes opened.

"I don't know who it is from, but by judging the seal, I can tell that it's from Awadh..." Jamila's lips curved into a smirk.

Apsara eyes were wide open with nervousness and excitement at the same time. She took the paper from Jamila. Who could it be? She thought to herself.

Could it be her father... or King Pritvi?

She carefully opened the letter, looking at Jamila who had the same expression as Apsara. When she looked into the letter, she breathed a sigh of relief as she immediately recognised Parineeti's writing.

She smiled at Jamila, "It's from my sister..." She said, which came out as a whisper.

But once she ended reading the letter, she could sense nothing but danger...

Dear Apsara,

It's been a long time since I've seen you or written to you, we're worried sick about you. We didn't get to know any news about you... Father's been telling that it'd not be safe for you to stay within the four walls of that palace... it is dangerous for you. Moreover, the King Pritvi'd visited Father to speak about him taking your hand in marriage. 

By the time you're reading this letter, our cousin Suraj and I must be halfway to our journey to Lahore, to take you away from the palace... let me remind you that, you shan't tell anyone in that palace about our arrival... we'll be reaching there after two days by night...

Eager to meet you,

Parineeti

Apsara kept the paper on the bedside table, and began rubbing her temples. The content of the letter surprised her... her sister was coming to visit her! She was excited but she wasn't tensed for no reason...

"What is it? You look worried? Is it the letter?" Jamila bombarded her with her inquiries.

"No..I'm fine," Apsara said looking at Jamila. Apsara was indeed happy about her sister's arrival, but she knew that the King wasn't aware of this. Even if he was, he'd have gone after her cousin and sister and killed them.

It was these unwanted and shocking surprises that her sister gave her, that bothered her. She wanted to visit her family, but coming to the palace and taking her away without the acknowledgement of the King, a King like Zayn, wasn't the right the right thing to do.

She didn't know what to do, but she was apprehensive about the problems that would rise if she'd spill the beans about what was in that letter. She wasn't sure how she'd enter the palace, she was unaware of Parineeti's plan.

She did want to share this with someone... Zafar. Her mind chose, but immediately decided against it. If anything unfortunate enough would happen that would foil Apsara's plan of getting out of the palace, then she knew that Zafar would be questioned.

Jamila? She thought, while looking at her with eyes full of hope, as she was the one who knew how badly Apsara wanted to leave the palace, as she missed her family. Apsara took Jamila by surprise by walking upto the door of the room, shutting it, so that what Apsara was about to say wouldn't be heard by anyone.