9. Jealousy

The King looked at the two, wishing he could do something to distract them. The King was jealous of Zafar in every way possible. Zafar had everything Zayn didn't have, including the love of his mother. Now, he sighs looking at how easy it was for Zafar to make Apsara smile, while Zayn only made her uncomfortable.

Zafar was kind, handsome, he wasn't as powerful as Zayn, but his charm made all girls madly fall for him, just like Zayn.

He ran his fingers through his hair, a habit which he has, and turns his head away suddenly remembering that he had to "secretly" visit his common subjects today.

Zayn always, on a monthly basis, walks through the busy streets of the markets in Lahore. He disguises himself as a commoner, wearing the simplest clothes and tries to understand the problems of the people by talking to them. But he basically did that to know what the people thought of him, not the people's problems.

This method was taught by his father, who also used to go out and talk to these people. They would never recognize the King as mostly the Kings would just be inside their palaces, with servants running at their every beck and call. 

Zayn remembers Zahar Mahmood, the minister, tell him once, "Your father has always said that if you wanted to know the real problems and botherations of the subjects, you'd always get the answer from the commoners and the poor people..." Those great words of Zahar, which was originally said by his father, was etched in his heart.

....

As the sun rose to its peak in the afternoon, Zayn, along with Zahar, in the simplest of clothes, walked through the jam- packed markets, observing the people as they walked through each shop. They planned to stop by a tea shop or anything of that sort to hear the real gossip and issues. 

There were all sorts of shops, from clothes to utensils, everything was available in this vast amount of area. One could easily get lost in the crowd and this maze of a market.

 After about an hour of walking though various narrow streets, Zayn and Zahar stopped near a tea stall, which was incredibly small and had wooden poles on each of its corner, which bore the weight of its roof which was just a sheet of tarpaulin.

Zayn spotted a small gathering in the tea stall, who were casually chatting and discussing about politics.

Zayn gave a look to Zahar to go on. Both of them entered the shop and sat on old, dusty, wooden chairs, indicating how poor the owner must be.

Zayn and Zahar were only a few steps away from the crowd that was conversing seriously. The King sat casually tapping his fingers on the table  while he was eavesdropping the men. 

The waiter, who was also the owner, came towards the table, which was more like a bench. He wore the shabbiest of clothes, with holes in it. It made Zayn think how thankful he was to have all the luxuries of life. 

"What would you like to order?" The waiter spoke in a rushed manner, looking at Zayn and Zahar, as he was single- handedly doing all the tasks in the stall. 

Zayn just stared at the waiter, as he hadn't thought of anything, since he was listening the conversation of the men.

"Uh... do you have tea?" Zayn asked stupidly.

The waiter instead, just gave a look as if he'd just heard the most foolish question. Which tea stall doesn't have tea? 

"Of course we have! What else do you want?" The waiter rudely spoke. Zayn balled his fists, controlling his anger, as he couldn't stand the nerve of this man to speak like that to him. If he'd known I was the King, then he'd be on my knees by now. The King's mind spoke to him in arrogance.