30. Veil

"Greetings My worthy subjects" The King said, in the most joyful voice, he's ever uttered to this day...

All of his subjects were called for a 'special meeting' at the assembly hall, in the palace. Seeing the King's unusual happiness, all the court-persons, workers, including Apsara, looked at the King confusedly.

The events of last night were still fresh in her memory,and now, for the first time, she had covered her face with a scarf, which the King had already noticed...

It vexed the King that he couldn't catch a glimpse of Apsara... covering her face from him was just like the Sun hiding behind the clouds, fearing to show itself.

But the most confused and shocked, was his brother and mother, who couldn't say anything, or express their emotions upon the failure of their plans.

The duo had thought that the order to attend the court was to announce the death of the King, but seeing the Monarch, healthy and alive... they couldn't believe it. How could a creature as deadly as a King Cobra, not kill the King? And as far as Farhat knew Zayn, the one thing which he feared the most were snakes....

"Why is he still alive?" She whispered to Zafar, while staying focused on Zayn.

Zafar chose not to reply anything, as they were within the earshot of the Monarch, who was on the high-raised platform, seated on the throne. 

"Due to events that took place last night..." The King sighed, looking at Apsara, and continued, "I've decided to make some new rules regarding this issue.." He clapped his hands once, and a man, as thin as a rake, bowed in front of the King opening a golden scroll, which made Apsara gulp in trepidation.

The man, whose moustache covered his lips, spoke in a loud voice, crystal clear, for all the lords and ladies...

"The Royal Court of Lahore, under the rule of King Zayn Malik Abdul Shah, declares more strict laws and punishments to be faced  by trespassers.." The man continued, but Apsara could only notice the King's mahogany-hued irises set on her, with a sardonic grin playing on his lips...

"... the trespassers caught from now on, will have to face two years in prison, with an amount to be paid to the court, depending on the scale of the crime..." 

A tear fell from Apsara's eyes, but she immediately wiped it off, looking at Zayn with watery eyes.

The man returned back to where he was standing, closing the scroll as he walked back...

"I hope no one present here has any objections...Now, I haven't called all of you just for this.." Zayn smiled, taking in his hand, the dead snake , wrapped in a silk cloth...

It was now the time for Farhat and Zafar to gulp in fear....

"I'd wanted to show you something.." He said opening the cloth, revealing the creature in it, making the crowd gasp in shock...

The crowd became loud, as curiosity fuelled their voices, The King cleared his throat to continue...

"It's a King Cobra... one of the most venemous snake known to man. I'd battled this beast last night, all by myself..."

"The snake was wrapped on my legs, and with all my inherited courage I bravely fought the animal!" The King said with a tone filled with arrogance.

"You're as brave as a lion, Your Majesty! You're the most heroic figure that ever lived!" A minister praised, which was more of a flattery, aimed at charming the King....

"Well, it was indeed a nerve- racking experience, Mohammed! Well said, well said..."Zayn complimented the minister back, grinning in arrogance, glancing at Apsara.