32. Sparrow

Previously on The Divine Beauty- Apsara...

"But, sire you're old enough to get married.." Zahar interfered.

"So you too have a hand in this thing? Zahar, how could you?" Zayn asked, concealing his anger with a smile..

"It's for your betterment Your Highness, we wish nothing else..." The maulvi also nodded in agreement.

"I know everything, I know exactly what you wish for... well," He looked at the maulvi, "Convey the message to the King of Qandahar that I do not wish to take his daughter's hand in marriage..."

The maulvi, disappointed, but happy at the same time upon receiving a large amount of gold, returned back to his native land...

"Zahar,"

"Yes, Your Highness?"

"Do not bring any marriage proposals, until I'm prepared for it.." He calmly tells him.

"As you wish, Your Highness.."

........

The King woke up early the next day, for he had an important thing to do...

The King was always a lover of sports, his favourite hobbies being fencing, archery and playing polo. He was extremely skilled at that sport... among all his ancestors, according to what his subjects said, he had an inborn talent of playing the game.

He played with a few of other ministers, whom he'd invited to play with him. They initially tried to kindly reject his offer, but they had to accept it..

........

He rode on his favourite black horse, hitting it's back with a rope, erupting a neigh from the animal, he hit the ball that moved on the ground with the stick, effortlessly earning a goal.

He gave an all- knowing smile at his opponents, who clapped their hands, while sitting on their horses. "Well played, Your Highness!" One exclaimed.

He smiled back as a reply, he looked around, enjoying the beautiful surrounding of the huge playground, where he played sports... the wet smell of freshly grown grass filled his nostrils..the greenery of the grass energized his mind. He took a panoramic view of the entire place, calmed by the sound of sparrows chirping on the trees.

"What's wrong, Your Highness?" 

"Oh well, I was enjoying what nature has to offer me..." Zayn said in a tone filled with bliss.

His hands were wrapped around the rope that rode the horse, he was ready to play another game. But, on his right arm, was a little sparrow, looking expectedly at the King.

The King instantly smiled, looking at the little bird, "Look at this little feathered friend.." He said in awe to his peers.

"I must keep it..." He says, not leaving his gaze from the sparrow, who didn't plan to leave him.

.......

"Thank you, Zahar.." King Zayn says, as he looks at the bird, enclosed in a golden cage.

"My pleasure, Your Highness... You'd told me to remind you something today.." He says.

"What is it? If it's about your salary, you may have an increment this month.." The King said, not paying attention to him. Instead he looked and smiled at the bird, who was in it's cage, kept on his window sill.

"As much as I'd love to have an increment, you'd asked me to remind you to travel to Mewar on this day..."

The King immediately turned and looked at Zahar, with his eyebrows raised in shock, "Mewar! The King must be expecting me there by tonight... if we start by now, we'll reach there soon, though not at the time we'd decided to get there..."