69. Man of Armour

Previously On The Divine Beauty- Apsara...

"What about Mariam? I didn't find her anywhere this time," Kabir said, and the King's lips pressed into a thin line, "You know how to ruin a perfect conversation very well," King Zayn said, "She's gone... she said that she was getting married... she was acting different the day she'd gone,"

"She probably would've realized that you held no value for her, and that you preferred her for her body,"

"Well, I can't lie to you on that matter," King Zayn said, accepting the fact. "But whatever it may be, I am fully devoted to Apsara,"

"I want to marry her, wed her and let her be the mother of my children, I am going to ask for her permission for marriage, and it won't take long, for I want her to be my wife, the next Queen of Lahore..."

.........

Peshawar.

Nadir Khan stood at the door of his and his wife, Zaisha Abdul Shah- Khan's, bedchamber. His heart raced as anxiety filled him. His wife's illness had left him to be a weak man. She had been dull and weak for several days, and Nadir wondered if, God forbid, some sort of disease had attacked her petite frame.

He looked at the guards, while they slightly bowed their heads. "Is the Queen present inside? Or is she still under treatment in the sick room?" Nadir asked, coating his vulnerability with a glaze of authority.

"No, sire, the Queen returned a few hours back from her treatment along with her nurse," The guard reported. The King nodded, and with a flick of his wrist, Nadir was let into his room, where he saw his wife, lying on the bed, plainly smiling at him, despite her body, drained of all its energy, asked her not to do so. The doors closed behind the King as he walked towards her.

"My dear Zaisha," King Nadir whispered, sitting on the edge of the bed, running his palm through her hair, which felt warm.

In his life, Nadir'd never had priorities, until Zaisha. Their story of love, hatred and betrayal began even before Zaisha's birth. It began when Nadir was a Prince.

King Abdul Shah, the predecessor of King Zayn, and King Hamid Khan, Nadir's father, were third cousins, and the closest of allies. Being a frequent visitor of the Lahori palace, King Hamid'd brought his twelve year old son, Nadir, with him. 

And when Queen Yasmin of Lahore had confirmed to be pregnant with her final child with Abdul Shah, after which she'd left the palace, unreported, both the Kings'd vowed to the betrothal of their children. Since then, Nadir had grown fond of Zaisha, although he hadn't seen her, until she became older.

Things took a steep turn, when the former Peshawari King disclosed the Lahori war strategies to Abdul Shah's enemy Kingdoms. And then a small flame, grew into a forest fire, burning the relationship of their future generations to come. The promise of Zaisha and Nadir's marriage eroded like the two Kingdoms' relationship.

King Zayn was against Peshawar for the same reasons, and therefore when he became the next King of Lahore, he kept the betrothal a secret, since he didn't want he want his sister to get married to untrustworthy people. But as soon as Nadir Khan became the King, he secretly began sending letters to Zaisha, disclosing all the secrets, that she'd ought to know. Zaisha knew that Nadir would treat her right, and protect her... but little did she know then that her brother, whom she loved to death, would disown her, and leave her abandoned.

"What did the physician tell you, my dear wife? What sort of an ailment has captured my lady's pure soul?" Nadir spoke, his words, as deep and meaningful as a poem.

"Sire, I am absolutely fine," She said, smiling, and the King eyed her skeptically.

"No, I can see it in your eyes," He argued.