21. The Mughal Sword

Apsara walked through the corridors of the palace, she looked out into the sky and the Sun was at its peak, giving out it's bright rays. She didn't know why she was happy and full of glee. She touched the wooden pillars, feeling their smooth surface. She instantly turned to the direction where she heard someone calling her name.

"Apsara.." Zafar whispered from the distance. She smiled looking at him and walked up to him. But her expression changed as he saw him with an alarmed and worried look.

He held her hand tightly as soon as she came close to him. "What is it,Zafar?" She examined his face closely.

"Everything's going wrong! King Zayn's going to kill us!" He said with his eyes wide open, looking slightly paranoid. Apsara couldn't believe his words. "Wait...why?" She tried remaining calm, but her words came out be strained.

"He's come to know about our relationship, Apsara... he said he'll murder us brutally!" The grip he had on her hand tightened. 

'What do we do now?" Her cheeks were filled with a deep shade of red due to the fear of death. 

"Let's run away from this place.." He suggested, as if it was his last option. 

Apsara didn't even think before replying, "What!? We can't just run away! We'll be creating more problems by doing that!" She nearly yelled at him.

"I know Apsara... but I promise you that I'll keep you safe.. I know a place few kilometres from here through the forest... Zayn cannot find us there!" He recommended.

"Fine... but I don't feel good about this," She said, with creased eyebrows, fully not giving into his plan. She looked down in deep thought.

"Just trust me, Apsara?" He lifted her chin to look into her eyes, and planted a small kiss on her cheek. "Let's go.. we have no time." He said quite seriously.

 ......

Apsara had her clothes inside a cloth bag while Zafar carried his. They bribed the security guard into letting them out. Zafar held Apsara's hand tightly, and began to sprint. Apsara turned behind to have a good look at the palace. The building soon became distant as they jogged towards the forest that was a few kilometres away from the alcazar.

Zafar's hand never left hers. He pulled her closer as they entered the thick jungle. Soon, the only sound that could be heard was of animals and the chirping of birds.

The leaves rustled as their pace increased, as they sprinted through the forest, looking back each second if the coast was clear.

"I guess we're safe now, Apsara," Zafar said, panting.

Just then they heard the sound horses neighing. They looked at each other in fear, standing still. The sound was nearing as they ran with great speed.

Their legs were aching but they couldn't stop since they already knew that it was Zayn with his troops. The sound of swords being taken away from scabbards could be heard. Apsara cried as she ran, making it difficult for her to keep up with Zafar's pace.

The sound was now heard within their earshot, and the couple saw their end nearing. But they continued moving....

Just then, a man on a horse stopped right in front of them, blocking their way to go further. Zafar and Apsara immediately turned back to run away from that man but that way was too blocked by army men by then...

Soon they were surrounded by a group of army men on their horses. All of them had covered their faces with scarves. But only one standing right at the front of them unveiled his scarf to reveal himself. It was Baadshah Zayn Malik, holding the well known Mughal sword high into the air.