18. The Gift

Previously on The Divine Beauty- Apsara...

"But...why?" Jamila asked with a voice full of innocence. She didn't know why King Zayn gifted Apsara expensive things.

The truth has to be told. Apsara prepared herself before telling this to her. She completely believed Jamila as a friend. 

"I-I am... I w-was.." She stuttered as Jamila's curiosity grew. "What is it?" She asked.

"I was proposed by the King of Awadh before coming here..." She breathed out, while Jamila stood there stunned and speechless...

___

Jamila's eyes were wide in surprise... staring at Apsara as if she's just murdered someone. But her dumbstruck expression soon turned into a smile... a wide grin.

"Did he really propose you, Apsara?" Jamila asked for conformation.

"Yes... I already told you, Jamila!" She wished she hadn't told her. She didn't feel happy in being in a relationship with the Awadhi king. He was a gentleman, of course... but she didn't feel that he'd be the right person for her. He always begged her to marry him from the age of fifteen... and even after six years, at present that is, he was determined to marry her. 

She didn't want a man to follow her around begging her to marry him or make her his.... that's the mistake King Zayn and King Pritvi did. She wanted a man who'd be chosen by her parents, or if anyone liked her should go and meet them instead of being around her all the time.

She wanted to like a man before he'd like her. She wasn't dreaming for the  clichéd romance. She preferred love after marriage. But being with Zafar was slowly changing her view. He was the right person, she felt. He gave her nothing but happiness. She was herself when around him... he knew her every need and wish. He was the ideal man that Apsara desired.

"But why didn't you tell anyone.. or me?" Jamila inquisitive nature asked... in an expression that showed nothing but hurt.

"I don't like him..." Apsara said with the least amount of botheration about that subject.

"Did he meet your parents?" Jamila stayed on the topic.

"No." Apsara answered, balling her fists in anger.

"Well, I wonder how King Zayn would feel about that.." Jamila smirked in a tone of playfullness. Jamila knew that Zayn had feelings for her from the moment he asked about her the day she took Apsara's friends to feed the ducks. Every look that King Zayn gave Apsara, was far different from the way he looked at others.

"What do you mean, Jamila?" Apsara stared at Jamila for her previous statement.

"I meant... I wonder how he'd react to your relationship with King Pritvi.." Jamila giggled, Apsara couldn't even get that Jamila was joking.

"We're not in a relationship, Jamila..." Apsara stayed as calm as she could be.. though her voice was getting shakier by the moment.

"I don't think that the King would want you two to get married..." Jamila said, slowly pacing towards the door of the room.

"Where are you going?" Apsara asked raising her eyebrow. 

"To tell the King about this." Jamila's voice was full of joke. At this point, Apsara stood up from the bed, her eyebrows creased, which was not her usual expression. She was clearly angry. Jamila increased her speed of walking towards the door, causing Apsara to run after her. 

In a few moments, Apsara was running after Jamila through the corridor. Jamila was laughing like a child as she ran, thinking that Apsara hadn't taken it seriously.