60. Own Blood

Previously on The Divine Beauty- Apsara...

"Queen Farhat and Prince Zafar, had been arrested yesterday night," Zayn declared to his people.

The crowd started buzzing, and the hall became louder with people perplexed about what their King was trying to convey them.

"Now I know you may be asking why I'd convicted them... well let me tell you, they had, according to a witness, tried and planned to kill me!" Zayn said.

"Well, then who's the witness, Your Majesty?" Zahar asked.

"Apsara... Apsara Devi," Zayn said, searching for her dark brown eyes, to call her up for the questioning.

.....

Apsara knew that it was her cue to walk up to the small platform, kept at a small height, below the King.

Unlike other courts, there wasn't any jury, or a judge. The King's word would be considered final. The only person who could object, or advice the King would be Zahar Mahmood, but his powers were also, limited.

"The accused... Farhat Abdul Shah, and Zafar Abdul Shah," Zayn spoke, without addressing them as Queen or Prince, "...will be brought to the platform situated opposite to Apsara Devi, " 

And like convicts, which they were accused to be, they were brought to the court with guards on both their sides. 

"May the court session begin," King Zayn said, which silenced the crowd. 

"Now, Apsara Devi," Zayn said, trying to sound bold, although deep inside his heart was falling apart, seeing his mother and brother on trial. He could easily act biased towards his family, but he had lost all hopes when he realized that his own blood had tried to eliminate him.

So he decided to steer his path towards the truth, no matter how bitter it may be...

"Describe in detail, what'd happened last night that led to the arrest of the Prince and the Queen..." Zayn demanded.

Apsara gulped in fear. She looked at the people who anxiously waited for her voice. Her eyes found Jamila's who looked as shocked as the others in the hall.

"Don't be frightened, Apsara...just say the truth..." Zayn said, the last words with a tone of desperation. He couldn't bear any more betrayal from whom he'd considered to be his own.

"I'd gotten up from my bed at midnight, as I couldn't get any sleep... I went out of the room to breathe in some fresh air," She started.

"May I know why you weren't able to sleep?" Zayn asked.

"The King's job is to investigate this case, not to ask why a worthless court dancer didn't get any sleep!" Prince Zafar opened his mouth in an argumentative tone.

"Prince Zafar, I thought you had learnt a lesson from being locked up in the prison last night, I hope your position in this palace is clear to you by now," Zayn angrily exclaimed, not bothering to look at Zafar.

Farhat placed her palm on Zafar's shoulder, which he shook away in vexation.

"Apsara, you may continue, " Zayn permitted her to speak.

"I was depressed after my Father's murder, so I walked through the corridors for a few minutes, and that's when I heard voices at the distance... I was slightly alarmed since it was midnight and I knew there was nobody who was awake, so the voices guided me, and I reached the Queen's room, seeing it unguarded, I went to closer to the door-"

"Isn't listening to someone's conversation, a sin?" Zafar interrupted again, as he was desperately trying to put her in trouble.

"Will you!?" Zayn replied, raising the pitch of his voice, which stunned the Lahori crowd.