41. To Kill

"You've reached earlier than you've said, Zayn.." Zafar nervously smiled, while receiving King Zayn at the main gate of the Lahore palace.

'Why? Do you want me to stay away from this place forever?" Zayn sassily asked while he walked up to the palace, with Zafar to escort him.

"No! No way, Zayn! How can I even think of that?" Zafar, kept his palm on his broad chest, slightly bowing down. But little did the King know that Zafar was in fact, glad, to have the King arrive earlier at the palace, the King's arrival at this moment was a catalyst for his own assassination... the sooner, the better..

Zayn sensed something odd in his words.. on any other day, Zafar would reply with the most spiteful answer to Zayn's question, but today, on seeing Zafar being considerate and above all 'brotherly' towards Zayn, did give rise to a few questions which he let go of, at that moment.

Zayn huffed, trying to ignore any conversation with his brother. He increased his pace, while Zafar asked him another question.

"So... did you sign any contract in Mewar?"

"Well, I didn't sign any any contract in Mewar-"

"-Then!? Please don't tell me you've returned empty handed!" Zafar said.

Zayn stopped, and looked at Zafar, "Zafar will you allow me to complete my sentence?" He said in a vexed tone, as Zafar moved a step back from the sightly intimidating personality of his brother.

"We have no weapons, Zafar... and moreover, I'm not permitted to enter their territory, ever!"

"But what did you do?.."

"I don't want any questions to be asked! I have had a long and tiring journey through the deserts...I deserve some rest! Now please, leave me alone for a while.."

Zayn ended his sentences with a frown, and walked away from the Prince.

Zafar was a man who loved his land, woman and wealth, but he was too crooked enough to not achieve enough of each, unlike King Zayn, who had all of these just because of the strength of a four-letter word called 'luck'...

He didn't deserve it...That's what Zafar's mind told him.... His hatred and jealousy towards Zayn, drove his mind to the most darkest place it could go, the place where the desire to kill existed.

And Zayn's inability of being a good ruler, fuelled his greed even more... it's now or never, he decided. No regrets, no guilty feelings... he wanted to erase the image of Zayn on every painting in the palace, every coin, and moreover, he wanted to erase him from the throne.

"It's my time now, King Zayn... I decide your fate...there's no escape from death for you, and if you do, by your luck, I will make sure to torture every inch of your body, till you wished to die, but you cannot!" Zafar said, as Zayn was out of sight.

..........

"Now, fold your hands and stretch your arms.... that's it.." Apsara pleasantly smiled, as she taught a few dance steps to her fellow dancer, during their practice sessions, in their well-ventilated hall, surrounded by windows.

This was the only source for Apsara's happiness, as she was doing something which she really loved. The anklets that she wore, clinked as she joined her friend, taking her pace, gracefully dancing with her.

The audience, which consisted only of the other dancers, applauded at seeing the two girls beautifully dancing...

She abruptly stopped as she heard the sound of a peacock.

Normally, for any other person, hearing the sound of the bird wouldn't mean a thing. But for Apsara, who was very superstitious, it was a bad omen.

"Why did you stop?" Her fellow dancer asked, who slowed down, on seeing her partner gloomy. No one had taken notice of the peacock's shrill cries.

"Can you hear it?" She asked, as the girls in the hall remained silent.

"Hear what?" One asked.

"The shrill and desperate cries of the peacock is considered bad... it's a way of showing that something bad is going to happen..."

"I don't trust these things... and you shouldn't either..." Another one said, to which all of the others agreed.

"Everything's fine, okay, Apsara?" One consoled her, keeping her hand on her shoulder.

"I hope so.."

.......

The Palace Kitchen.

A sweet glass of pure milk.. who could deny it? Under the darkness of the night, who would think that the milk that they're drinking had a nice portion of lethal poison in it? The night, made everything dark, including the plan that Farhat was going to execute with the help of her son, Zafar, with the support of Mariam, who was unaware that she was even a part of this.

Mariam waited outside the kitchen door, as Farhat had ordered her to meet Zafar there. They wouldn't tell Mariam about their plan, as they knew Mariam would definitely not allow the death of the man she fancies.. no woman would allow that to happen.

......

"Mariam.... I want you to give this to King Zayn.." Zafar whispered while handing the glass to Mariam, that was filled with the white liquid to the brim.

"What have you added to this, poison?" Mariam joked, unaware that what she was saying was the actual reality.

"No!... I wouldn't even dream of doing that! After all you've done for us, it's our way of thanking you... this milk has a love potion, and the woman who feeds this to a man she secretly loves, will stay together, forever!" Zafar explained his quickly- fabricated story.

"Is it? Then I'll give it to him right away..." Mariam smiled... finally she'd got for something she'd wished for... Zayn. Now Zayn would only have a place for her, rather than Apsara, she thought.

She walked through the corridor, careful enough not to spill the milk from the tumbler. But the excitement she had, made her walk slightly faster than she usually did.

But she felt very sick all of a sudden... black spots blurred her vision. She felt as if the entire world was spinning...

She slowed down, trying to keep her eyes fixed at a place, but it was out of her control... it felt like someone was possessing her, controlling her soul. Her hands and legs turned weak, and she dropped the tumbler, causing it to shatter into a thousand pieces.

Following the fall of the glass, she collapsed on the floor, the images of the ceiling being the last thing she saw before she became unconscious...

_____

OMG! WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO MARIAM!? Well I know, but you hafta guess it down in the comments section! Did a demon possess her? Or what other theories can you come up with?

Zayn saved again by the skin of his tooth, seriously that guy is so damn lucky, he's getting saved from death for the nth time! Not that I'm sad about it :P

So... how did your week go? Mine was hectic :P My pre-boards begin on Hazza's b'day :/ It's pathetic I know..and Chemistry is driving me CRAJJY!

I've been sleeping for only 3 and a half hours every day, from two weeks.. and trust me I look hella tired... so please send your donations to www.cbsegotmecrazy.org and save a life ! :'(

Till then (leaving a horrible cliffhanger as I always do at the end of a chapter)

xoxo

sweetdreams199