25. Raja Abanindra Ray

Mariam broke down into tears as she rushed to her room, which was shared by Jamila. She suppressed her tears as soon as she saw that Jamila was asleep, as it was late and the only sound to be heard were the sound of the crickets.

She covered her mouth with her palm as she sat on her single bed, placing the pillow on her lap, wailing pathetically at her fate...

She felt as if she wasn't worth for Zayn's love... her knees felt weak and numb from what the King did earlier to her.

 Why did she even confess her love in the first place? She thought as she took in a deep breath. All the insults that she had to listen due to her profession of being a mere mistress, all the perverted looks she'd received from men, calling her to sleep with them, began to taunt her.

She felt like thousands of wooden splinters were being shot at her, and there was no way to escape from it... Her breathing increased, not able to take in the sudden rejection...

In the twenty three years that she'd lived, she'd always felt that she was perfect, the King loved her and there was nothing in the world that could make her happier. But since the entry of a few people into the palace, she's felt that she wasn't as worthy as she was before, she felt that the King'd rather day dream about spending a night with Apsara, though it'd never happen, than actually making love to Mariam..

Apsara... Her mind landed on her name, the woman that she despised the most...The things that she'd do to her.... But Mariam now felt that she couldn't even wish be considered equal to Apsara, she was bolder, she was a dancer, she was much richer than Mariam, and moreover, she wasn't dependent on Zayn's body to make a living... in fact, she didn't even want Zayn... 

And that rejection Apsara showed towards the King is what made him want her, and the rejection the King shows towards me these days is what makes me want Zayn even more... Her mind concluded...

A woman who was once confident and proud of herself, was now sitting on her bed, weak and vulnerable....

Time had indeed changed people and their fates...

.....

The Lahori Prince stood in front of the closed door of his Mother's room as he  gently knocked on the door as per her liking.

"Come in.." A faint voice came from inside.

Zafar opened the door to see the Queen, Farhat, on her bed, reading a book with sheer concentration...

"You'd sent someone to call me, Mother.." Zafar reminded his Mother, slightly adjusting his Turkish turban.

"Ah yes!" She said like an intellectual, closing the book with one hand, earning a 'clap' as the book shut.

Zafar looked at his Mother intently as she began to speak, he knew that it was something about their plan about Zayn.

"D'you remember the time I'd told you that I shall make the arrangements for our move against Zayn?" The woman smirked intertwining her fingers in excitement. Zafar looked away from his focus, trying to recollect the moment, he remembered instantly, he smiled back at his Mother.

"What about it, Mother?" He asked enthusiastically.

"Heard about deaths caused by the deadly bite of a serpent?" His mother asked vaguely.

"A serpent?"

"Yes... a serpent, a King cobra for the King of Lahore...." 

.......

-"The beauty of Bengal, Vandhana!" The man announced, earning a cheer from the crowd with the King of the land on the throne, smirking as he saw her,while sipping down his pricey and aged Italian red wine ...