2. Apsara Devi

The preparations for the monarch's entertainment began. The dancers took their positions, with the main dancer being the woman, the King was so very curious to know about. He smiled at the girl, who looked down coyly, giggling.

Her body was fully ornamented, with a thin gold hip-chain, adorning her perfect waist. She was dressed in a festive orange, highlighting her sun-kissed skin. She was slightly taller to the monarch's liking, but he felt that it only added to her mesmerizing physique, which resembled a Hindu goddess.

The monarch mostly preferred shorter females, to give him warmth during the chilled nights. He felt more powerful, domineering and delighted to have someone to look down at.

But his perspective slowly began to erode, as he looked at her lustfully.

The drummer made his way to the corner of the space, and the singers preferred the other . Everything was set; he eagerly waited for her to begin.

Loud and intense beats echoed from the skin of the drum, it was the cue for the singers to begin, moreover, it was the cue for her to dance.

The King, feeling awestruck, looked at how gracefully she moved to the song. Her body moved, perfectly on each beat, heightening the King's joy on seeing her.

His pupils dilated, and he smiled, as he saw how she moved her hands, her expressions were effortlessly portrayed on her face.

The dimples on her cheeks were prominent, as she smiled. Her eyes, were laced with an essence of innocence. Her nose, albeit small, was pointed. But Zayn stared at her lips which were plump and as pink as the roses in his garden. Her hair, as straight and as black as ebony, cascaded down her back, up to her hips.

A glimpse of her, gave the King's heart completeness, a pleasure, which he would never receive from anything else. He slowly ran his thumb over his lips, observing and studying her like an artifact.

His heart lost its rhythm as the final beats of the song were heard. 

He surprised the crowd, by standing up, clapping wildly, as the crowd joined in.

The one aspect that set Zayn apart from everyone was that he knew no boundaries, for anything. He was known for his unconventional behaviour, whether it'd be his sense of fashion, relationships, or even his expression of emotions.

He was easily angered, and easily pleased.

The group of girls folded their hands in gratitude; all Zayn now wanted was to know more about her.

"Sire, these were the court dancers, from the court of King Pritvi Gupta of Awadh- " Zahar Mahmood, spoke as the dancers, moved their way for the older man.

King Zayn interrupted the minister's introduction. "Say no more, Mahmood, I want to reward these lovely women," He said, smirking.

"As you desire, Your Majesty," Mahmood, said lowering his voice, knowing that the King must've already set his eyes on someone, but he knew there was nothing that could stop the Monarch.

The girl's eyes widened as the King gave a single, loud clap. A man, holding a tray of boxes, approached King Zayn. Zahar guided the dancers, back to the area where he previously stood.

Unfortunately for the King, the girl stood at the end of the group, further fuelling the King's undying eagerness.

Finally, she approached the King. Her eyes, set down in bashfulness, reminded him of a bride on her wedding night. Zayn smiled, fully enjoying the opportunity of viewing her at a close proximity.

He handed the box to her, touching her hands, making her gasp at the sudden contact, "What's your name, beautiful?" He whispered. She was the only girl, the monarch had conversed with... the fact made the girl's mind waver with a new- born curiosity. Moreover, the King's reference to her as 'beautiful', reddened her glowing cheeks, prominent, on her smile.

"Apsara, Apsara Devi..." She managed to say, marking the beginning of an epic journey of love, lust and war.