76. Sinner

Previously on The Divine Beauty- Apsara...

"Why is King Zayn doing this, Jamila? I want to stop him from doing this to her! She is so young, she can't die that soon!" Apsara wailed on her friend's shoulder.

"Your Majesty, everyone follows the rules in this land," Jamila whispered helplessly.

"But why was he unfair to them, Jamila?" She asked like a little child.

"Because he is the King, and he can do what he intends on doing," Said Jamila, wiping away Apsara's tears.

"I don't understand," Apsara whispered, looking down.

"It is time you get acquainted with this," Jamila said.

......

"I believed that the King would be accepting of such things..." Apsara got interrupted by Jamila.

"The one who preaches goodness, might be the sinner," Jamila said. Apsara furrowed her eyebrows, perplexed.

"I consider it my duty to tell you that it's rather safe to keep mum about this,"

"No, I shan't, Jamila..." 

"Then I reckon that I should be re-defining my boundaries on the words I choose," Jamila said apologetically.

"You should," Apsara said sternly, "For I have a mind of my own, which cannot be governed by anyone else anymore,"

......

Apsara moved away the sheets as she sat on the bed. She looked around, the empty room, but her mind played the scenes of the agony that the young girl and boy suffered. The way she wailed, the look of confusion in the boy's face, re-appeared in Apsara's mind.

Although hours'd passed since the execution of the boy and girl, she couldn't just forget about them. The door opened to reveal the King, smiling upon the sight of his wife.

But he could sense that something was bothering her. He anxiously inched closer to his wife, placing his hand on her shoulder, trying to make Apsara acknowledge his presence. 

She looked at him, keeping a placid expression, "Is something bothering you?" He asked, sounding concerned.

"Why did you kill them?" She asked out of the blue.

"Oh, it's about that, isn't it?"

"I need to know, Zayn!" She asked, raising her voice on not getting her answer.

"Address me as your King!" He reminded her.

"You didn't answer my question," Apsara said, with her tone reduced to the King's liking.

"They didn't abide by the rules, as simple as that...now, I think it's not right on your part to be inquisitive about such matters,"

"So what about having the freedom to help you take decisions? Didn't you make that clear to your subjects on the day I was crowned the Queen?" Apsara shot back at the King.

"And do your laws really outweigh humanity?" She asked.

Zayn  looked at his wife. He knew she was right. But the urge to flaunt his ego, overshadowed his acceptance of defeat.

"No more questions, I don't think I am well today..." Zayn removed his turban, placing it on the side table. 

"Should I blow off the candles, or do you want it lit?" Zayn asked. Apsara shook her head disappointingly. She chose to remain silent, and she lied on the bed.