19. The Proposal +Greetings

"Where were you, Jamila?!" Apsara yelled at Jamila, who stood there shocked at how angry Apsara was. 

"Uh- I ran off.... I saw the King coming.." Jamila answered looking down in guilt. She came upto Apsara, who had to lift her head to look at her.

"Well, this is just great, first he gives me outfits to wear everyday, and now he even does not let me pick up my own dress for Navratri, the only day which I enjoy to my fullest is now fully gone..." Apsara mutters angrily pointing to the outfit, lying on the bed. 

"He gifted another dress for you?" Jamila asked, in slight jealousy, while Apsara nodded sadly.

Jamila looked at the dress in admiration. She remembered someone wearing this outfit, roaming the palace with her high- spirited personality... was it?

"Th-th...Is this the dress you're you going to wear tomorrow?" Jamila expression was full of surprise.

"Why? What's wrong?" Apsara asked, identifying the tone of danger in Jamila's voice.

"Princess Zaisha used to wear this!" Jamila exclaimed. Apsara just raised her eyebrow, confused at whom she meant by referring to "Princess Zaisha". According to her knowledge, King Zayn only had an elder sibling Prince Zafar.

"Who is she, Jamila?" Her question was simple. Jamila associating the King with another woman, made her jealous, though she wasn't interested in the King. It was just another feature of a woman.

"She's King Zayn's and Prince Zafar's younger sister..." The maid answered. 

"I didn't know about that.." Apsara said looking down. "Don't tell anyone that I'd told you about this... the King doesn't want anyone to utter the Princess's name in this palace... it's an order." Jamila said, with seriousness.

"But why?" Now Apsara was investigative. "I'll tell you about that later, I met a few dancers while I was hiding from the King, they said you were getting late for the dance classes.." Jamila cleverly changed the matter.

"Okay.." Apsara feebly replied.

......

The next evening, the palace was decorated with mud lamps in every corner of it. Garlands of marigold hung everywhere, releasing a pungent aroma in the atmosphere. Anyone passing through the palace could easily guess that there was a celebration going on. 

Apsara pinned her duppatta to her blouse, looking at herself in the mirror. She applied a final coat of kajal onto her lower eyelids, which looked tired and lifeless. She couldn't sleep well last night. All that she could think about was King Zayn's touch. Oh! Thinking about it gave her  shivers.

And finally when she got some sleep last night, all that she could dream about were a pair of caramel eyes, and a pair of hands caressing her body in places that she couldn't even think of someone touching...

She wore her ear-ring, and moved her hair to one side, experimenting with different hairstyles.

"The dancers are calling you..." Jamila spoke at the door, who looked gorgeous in pink and golden ghagra. Apsara smiled unhappily at Jamila. It was Navratri...she had to be herself today. She consoled herself into doing what she didn't want to do. She had to dance in front of hundreds of people. 

But what bothered her was the fact that the King would be seated high on his throne, observing every move that her body would make.

She walked along with Jamila outside the room, locking it, so that no one could enter it. Her eyes were wide open in surprise looking at how the stage was beautifully set, with lamps everywhere that illuminated the entire ground. The guests had already began to arrive, standing on both sides of the King's throne which was kept opposite to the stage, on a high-raised platform.