74. Ego

Previously on The Divine Beauty- Apsara...

Zayn looked at his Mother for a moment, blinking away his tears. He couldn't take in the pain of seeing his Mother crying, even if he would accept the fact or not.

He walked away from the room, but Zahar held the King's wrist to stop him from leaving.

"King Zayn, you're cheating your own conscience by running away from your responsibilities. She's an ageing woman, sire. It is your duty as a Son to meet her needs and desires during these days, you shouldn't regret what you did now, later," Zahar whispered.

Zayn looked at Zahar, with tears flowing down his cheeks, as he turned back to walk towards his Mother, engulfing her in his embrace.

"Mother, I have missed you," He cried on her shoulder.

........

"We have so much to talk about!" Yasmin said, smiling through her tears. 

"Stories dating back to twenty-seven years," Zayn's voice sounded muffled through his tears.

"I knew you wouldn't be able to fight your ego," Yasmin said.

"I just don't know, Mother... I was wrong," Zayn admitted.

"This calls for a celebration, Your Majesty! The land has got back its Queen!" Zahar cheered in happiness. 

"Well, I assume I have no right to be called the Queen anymore since my Son has found one for his own," Yasmin chuckled as she rested her palm on Apsara's shoulder.

"If she wouldn't have believed me, I wouldn't have met you, Zayn... you're lucky to have a woman like her in your life,"

"Just like how Father was lucky to have you, Mother," Zayn smiled.

"Well, he considered Farhat to be much luckier for him," Yasmin's joy faded as she spoke of her late husband's second wife.

"No mother, he still loved you,"

"How would you know that?" Yasmin asked.

"I speak what I believe in," Zayn said.

"Sire, may I make the arrangements for the celebration?" Zahar interrupted.

"I would like it if there weren't any celebrations," Said Yasmin.

"But mother, this is a joyous moment for us as well as the people of Lahore! The person whom everyone expected to return has finally arrived, alive and well!" Apsara said, in support of Zahar's idea.

"Living in the streets, being one among the commoners, have altered my perspectives, dear... I don't crave for luxury anymore, I am glad and honored to be close to my Son and his wife during my final days,"

"Mother, don't be pessimistic about your life, may you live for long, and live a peaceful and healthy life," Zayn said. 

"Zahar, make an announcement, informing everyone about the arrival of the King's Mother, and also make necessary arrangements to feed the poor their lunch today, they'll be having what the King will be eating this afternoon," Zayn ordered.

"Very well, sire,"

"I am impressed by your benevolence, Zayn," Yasmin commented as Zahar exited the room.

"Well, I got it from you and Father,"

"Dear, I just realised something," She turned, looking at Apsara.

"Yes, Mother?" Apsara asked.

"I haven't asked what your name was, have I?" Yasmin asked.

Zayn and Apsara began to chuckle, "My name is Apsara," Apsara answered.