Chapter 34: Nate

Mateo didn't stop walking until we were on the couch beside the window. I looked at Rya who looking at us concerned and Austin, JJ and Annie were missing. I gripped Mateo's hand tighter and that seemed to bring him back to reality looking up running his hands over his face. 

"Are you okay?" I asked. He looked at me weird and I shook my head. "Don't look at me like that of course we are not okay. You know what I mean." I spoke.

"Yeah ok. I guess." He sighed out. Taylor brought over Luca and Mateo reached for him. Taylor put him in his arms and he physically relaxed.

"Hey, Rya." I greeted her and she smiled sheepishly.

"Hey." She spoke.

"Have you two gotten to know each other?" I asked her gesturing to Taylor.

"Yes, she seems like a good friend." She offered and I looked over at Taylor.

"That she is." I agreed and Taylor looked over at me and then gave me the middle finger.

"When I want to be." She muttered making Rya laugh and she walked over to the stool beside Rya.

"Where are the others?" I asked and Taylor turned her head.

"In the cafeteria, he refuses to leave Grace for long. Austin that is, JJ too." She answered. I nodded and turned looking at Mateo with Luca and my heart felt full. Luca had his eyes closed, and Mateo was rocking him looking down at him his eyes full of admiration. Luca was in his green sleeper that had dinosaurs and his baby blue blanket.

"I love you, Luca." I said leaning over he grabbed my finger like he normally does making Mateo smile. His eyes were still closed, maybe he wasn't asleep. He looked so fucking cute, he had light brown hair like mine and green eyes, we all knew I was his father when we first saw him but Mateo didn't care. He loves him all the same.

"I'm going to put him down." Mateo muttered and I pulled away, he stood up gently and walked him to the crib beside us and put him in it. I sat there watching Luca sleep until I heard the door click open. Austin walked in with Annie in his arms sleeping. He walked her to the second bed beside Rya and put her in it. It was dark outside now. JJ walked to us wiping his eyes, he climbed onto Mateo's lap wrapping his arms around his neck.

"He's been asking for you all day." Taylor whispered. Mateo nodded his head, Mateo put his arms around him just holding him.

"You tired bud?" He asked. I thought he would get up to go to the other bed but he just stayed there letting JJ sleep with his head on his shoulder.

"Yes." JJ finally answered. Mateo rubbed his back and I felt myself getting tired again. Austin sat in the stool on the other side of Rya next to Annie's bed.

The door clicked open moments later and I opened my eyes, and saw the same three nurses pull Grace back through the door putting her in front of us again. The nurse stood in front of us and Taylor rounded the bed leaning against the armrest beside me. The nurse in front of me looked to be in her mid-30s, brown hair in a bun.

"Ok so let's start with my name, you should know it. Mira. And now I'm explaining. The implant is in her thigh." The other nurse brought an envelope and Mira opened it pulling out a black film putting on the board next to Mateo, she turned the light on and you could see the implant in the film. "Now, all we need is consent to take it out?" She looked to all of us and I nodded and Taylor nodded.

"Do we need to leave?" Taylor asked and the nurse shook her head.

"She won't be in any pain; I can pull the curtains and remove it." She gestured to the curtain. "If you want you can hold her hand, maybe talk to her, she might be able to hear us." She offered and I stood up.

"I'll do it." The nurse nodded and left coming back with a tray, she unwrapped it and pulled the curtain.