Chapter 36: Nate

"Isn't an MRI like a giant magnet, how can you give her one if she is on a vent?" Taylor asked and I arched a brow, I didn't think of that.

"Skinner has access to ventilators that are compatible with magnetic imaging machines. He is a much bigger deal than you think." Dr. Gibbons muttered. How big of a deal is he? "He is personally making sure we have absolutely everything we need to do tests that we may not can do with others. I am not sure what Grace did for him, but it must be big." He finished; the elevator stopped on the fourth floor. The doors slowly opened and he walked forward there was absolutely no nurse or doctor in sight but Mira and Janet.

"What do you mean did for him?" I asked and Dr. Gibbons turned to me arching a brow.

"You have to do something for him for him to do this even if you are a woman, although being a woman with him helps." He spoke opening a door, I looked at Mateo then Taylor they both shrugged. I walked in followed by Taylor and Mateo, we were in this booth with a computer and glass separating us from our girl. "I would like to apologize for not warning you about shaving her head." Taylor started waving him off.

"It's brain surgery, it was expected, you are fine Dr." She said and he nodded. Mira and Janet walked in from the hall. He pointed to button on a microphone.

"When you are ready push this and speak to her, no need to hold the button down, push the other button to turn the mic off." He instructed then sat down in the seat in front of the computer.

"Does it matter what we say?" Mateo asked. Dr. shook his head, okay here goes.

"Pretend we are not here if that helps." Mira spoke standing in front of the door, Janet walked in standing in front of the other door, they might be guarding in case someone comes up here but I am not going to worry about that. I pushed the button before I talk myself out of it.

"Hey, Angel. I'm here." I spoke and heard rapid beeping; Dr. Gibbons reached over patting my back. I looked at the computer and one part of her brain lit up. "Baby, I love you." I cooed.

"She is reacting to you." Dr. Gibbons muttered.

"Hey Grace, baby." Mateo spoke and the same part of her brain was still lit up. "I love you Angel. Luca needs his mom to come home." He whispered.

"I need my best friend to wake up." Taylor walked over tears in her eyes. "I love you bitch. You better wake up." She said laughing dryly.

"She is reacting to your voices." Mira walked to me she was smiling.

"Some part of her subconscious is holding on to your voices, me, Mira and Janet, spoke to her and now her brain is lighting up like a Christmas tree." He said and he looked at the computer like he was in love with it.

"He likes brains." Janet muttered the Dr. turned looking at her and winked. The computer quit beeping and her brain wasn't lit up anymore, the Dr. reached over switching off the mic.

"Who doesn't?" He spoke. "I'm not sure why she isn't reacting to others the way she does to you three..." He trailed off.

"If you know what parts of her brain is working can you wake her up?" Mateo asked and the Dr. nodded his and then shook it.

"I can if there is something to fix. I can't if there isn't, and it doesn't look there is anything to fix." He gestured to the computer. "I will look over everything and do new scans before I tell you she can't wake up. She technically has another day to wake up not that I hope she'll use it." He finished muttering.

"Aren't you a world-renowned brain surgeon?" Taylor asked and the Dr. turned to her arching a brow. "I google who operates on my best friend." She smiled at him and he smiled back.

"I guess you could say that." He looked back at the computer then at the chart in his hand.

"You have a reputation for operating on tumors that are inoperable." Taylor chimed.

"Inoperable tumors?" Mateo asked and Dr. Gibbons looked at him.

"I operate on tumors I know without a doubt I can help with. I don't think inoperable tumors are inoperable, I just think you need to find new ways to operate on them." He spoke putting his pin in his shirt pocket.

"I want new scans everything I can get." He asked and Taylor nodded.

"Just do whatever you have to, you have my signature if you are caught or whatever." She waved. Janet opened the door gesturing for us all to leave. I left first Mateo beside me; Mateo pushed the button to the elevator, it opened quickly and we all walked in.

"I hope he can wake her up." Mateo sighed and I leaned over kissing his cheek.

"I do too." I whispered to him. Taylor pushed the button for the bottom floor the doors slowly closed.