Chapter 78: Nate

I can't let Mateo get hurt I refuse to; I am going to lose my shit. I won't be able to keep myself together, he is a part of me, it feels like my heart is breaking in slow motion. Like my whole world is crumbling down, but I know that the Serpents are helping so I have to shake my head clearing my thoughts. We went on for hours talking about what we could do more like they did and I listened, before they settled on a plan, I wasn't really sure what the plan was let alone care and my stomach was in knots. I need him. I felt an arm wrap around my upper arm and I focused seeing Mateo standing over me.

"Come on." He spoke and I looked around everyone was gone but Grace and Mateo.

I felt numb my body like steel as I moved up the stairs, feeling him slide his hand down my arm holding my hand. I looked over at Grace seeing a faraway look on her face that I'm sure was on mine. We made our way down the hallway him leading the both of us into the bedroom, he walked through, then me and I heard the door click and I saw Grace slide down it falling apart and my eyes welled up with tears. I slid down the wall behind me, letting myself fall apart.

"You can't do this." I let out in a sob, and I looked at him looking at me with a heartbroken look on his face.

"You can't." Grace spoke up and I put my head on my knees not bothering looking at him as the tears fell. There was no telling what they would do to him, and I can't say without a doubt that I would see him again. I was tearing up so much and hyperventilating I was about to get sick. I tried calming myself down and I looked over hearing Grace slide closer to me. She was still crying as she laid against my shoulder.

"Please don't do this." I begged looking up at Mateo and he got up kneeling in front of me and Grace.

"I need to." He said and that made me feel even worse and I felt Grace hold my hand tight in her grasp. I felt more tears go down my face. "I need to make sure you two are safe." He whispered.

"I need you!" Me and Grace both yelled at the same time.

"We need you..." I whispered. "You can't say you walk away unhurt, hell even alive." I said the gravity of what I just said feeling like a knife in my chest.

"Serpents are helping us; you will already be in the funhouse when I get there. I will be okay." Mateo explained and I shook my head. He grabbed my chin making me look at him. "I will be okay." He said once more.

He leaned forward kissing me he ran his hands through my hair pulling me closer to him and Grace slid away letting him. The kiss was slow and he tried getting me to open my lips but I wasn't, he was putting his life on the line and my heart. I can't let him do this, not to me and Grace. We have been through enough and now he was going to willingly throw himself in a den of lions.

"Nate please." He begged pulling away, I opened my eyes meeting his gaze, shaking my head. "Baby, please." He said looking at me and I shook my head again. "I don't like this anymore than you do but I have to." He shook his head and I seethed.

"Why do you have to?!" I yelled.

"Like hell, if I let another one of you get hurt again!" He yelled back smashing his lips against mine.