Chapter 39: Mateo

I was about to close my eyes to get some sleep but the door clicked open and Dr. Gibbons walked in and took off his scrub cap.

"You look tired." Austin spoke and the Dr. scoffed, running a hand over his face.

"Just got out of a surgery. Adrenaline does wonders." He muttered and he looked at all of us. "I have this intern she travels with me she has been looking over Grace's scans and obsessing herself over this case trying to impress me. She found another small epidural hematoma; I have looked at the scan and I saw it myself the problem is..." He trailed off. Nate slowly stood up.

"This is the something you can fix, isn't it?" He whispered and the Dr. looked up at him and nodded.

"You can let her heal herself, or I can take her to surgery it is your choice. I would like to wait before I take her back because she is still recovering from the previous surgery and exposing her earlier to the amnesia can cause more damage." He explained and a young girl around Grace's age stumbled through the door. Her blond hair was in a ponytail, in baby blue scrubs like the nurses.

"Dr." She nodded at him he turned nodding back at her politely.

"What would you do?" Taylor asked walking over to him and he shook his head.

"I cannot make this decision for you." He spoke.

"Yes, you can, you know brains better than anyone in this room, how about this? If you say it's time, it's time." She urged.

"Alright then, I will have Dr. Katz monitor her." He turned to the door and whispered something to her and left the room. She walked deeper into the room and stopped at the foot of Grace's bed, she looked damn tired. She got out Grace's chart and went to the head of Grace's bed examining her eyes.

"Girl you look tired." Taylor spoke and the girl sighed and walked around checking the other eye. Tip toeing around JJ on the floor sleeping beside Grace's bedside.

"I'm ok." The girl finally spoke her voice was almost a whisper like she was nervous to speak. She walked back to the foot of Grace's bed and wrote something down on her chart looking at her machines. She turned around and Taylor was there and she grabbed her shoulders before Dr. Katz could walk away.

"Look, you are nervous as hell, and my best friend's life is in your hands. I'm assuming since your supervisor isn't in here you want to let something out. I am not going to be the bitch that acts all bitchy because my best friend's life is in your hands and you need to get your shit together. Vent to me, act like I am your best friend for just a minute and let it all out." Taylor stood back crossing her arms. The girl visibly relaxed.

"Ok, you sure?" She asked and Taylor nodded. "Okay, he has been taking me off cases all damn day. When I am not working with him and we are only her for Grace, I work with the other residents here. I was on ortho today, then peds, then the ER, cardio, general, and I don't know what I did. I was put on five surgical cases and he pulled me off all five." She finished all in one breath and then sighed, she had an accent it sounded like she was British.

"Did he say you could scrub in on this surgery?" Taylor asked and the girl shook her head. We were all just sitting here watching this little interaction go down. "Ok, where is he?" She asked and I smirked.

"What are you going to do?" Dr. Katz asked.

"Ok before you walked into this room, I had a phone call with a bitch I would like to kick an ass so please let me?" Taylor asked and the girl smiled. I bit the inside of my cheek and I saw Austin leaning again a wall sitting on a stool. We all agreed to give Taylor the last bed since JJ is now on the floor, Nate said he wanted to stay there when he tried waking him up.

"Ok, see here's the thing you got this information from..." The girl trailed off. "Janet. You got this information from Janet I never said a word. You will find him at the end of the hall last door on the right." She instructed and Taylor nodded and walked out.

"Thank you." Rya spoke and the girl turned to her arching a brow. "She was getting scary." She muttered and the intern smirked.

"You are Rya right? I looked over your scans?" Katz asked and Rya nodded.

"Where are you from?" Rya asked and the intern sighed.

"I was born and raised in the UK and moved here five years ago." She answered. "I would stay and talk but I need to check on some nonexistent scans on nonexistent patients." She smiled and Rya laughed. She walked out quickly.

"Ok that just happened?" Nate spoke.

"Yeah, that just happened." I answered.

"That probably was the best thing I've seen all week." Austin chimed and I smirked. I sunk down on the couch and closed my eyes, I felt Nate lay his head on my chest and I wrapped an arm around his waist and he held my hand.

I haven't gotten but maybe two or three hours of sleep but I think since I will be near Grace I can sleep now. It felt like she is here but she's not here I want her to wake up, I would give anything for her to wake up right now. I can't think about that, I am just going to think of her being beside me and go to sleep. I feel numb now, maybe I won't sleep but I need to try.