CHAPTER 1

RACE WEEK MONACO GRAND PRIX - MONDAY

You stare out the plane window watching as the scenery begins to change from the dark cold colours of Canada to the bright vibrant warmth of Nice. Closing your eyes as the wheels touch down and you can't help but smile when you open them again.

This is potentially the start of my new life.

You collect your things from the plane as it pulls up to the tarmac quickly heading inside the airport. You pull your hoodie up and wait for your luggage to be unloaded arriving on the baggage carousel a short time later picking it up as it comes around.

"Anna!" you say as you see a familiar face. You rush towards your best friend luggage in tow. "Maddie!" Anna screams back running towards you. You meet and wrap your arms around her, hugging each other tight.

"Oh my gosh I've missed you so much" you say.

"I'm so happy you're here! I can't wait to show you around your new home!" Anna responds releasing the hug. You laugh, "potential new home Anna, potential new home. Nothing's been decided yet."

Anna laughs and rolls her eyes. "Come on, Carlos is just pulling the car around". You grab your luggage and follow Anna towards the exit.

Anna is one of your absolute best friends, you grew up together in Canada having known each other since you were babies. She always had a passion for motorsports which translated well into a career working for Formula One (F1) as a marketing manager. She has been dating F1 Ferrari driver Carlos Sainz for the last 4 years. They recently bought a house together in Monaco and invited you to their house warming to celebrate. Anna offered for you to stay with her and Carlos while you were in Monaco, but you declined. You want a chance to explore the city by yourself if you're going to be moving here, plus with them having just recently moved in together you wanted to give them their privacy.

As you exit the airport you spot Carlos holding up a sign with your name on it. You smile walking over giving him a hug. "Hey Carlos".

"Madeline Sutton, how've you been?" he responds hugging you back.

"I've been good, excited to watch you race again this weekend." You respond. You've been to a few races over the years since Anna and Carlos started dating but never really got into it. Carlos loads your luggage into his vehicle and the three of you head off towards your hotel. You look out the window of the car taking in the busy city life. 

It's a big change from back home.

You arrive at the hotel and Carlos unloads your luggage for you.

"Don't forget 7pm our place." Anna reminds you.

"Yes, just text me the address, I'll get a car over" you respond. You give Carlos and Anna a hug before heading into the hotel to check in. You head up to your room and after you finish unpacking you decide to take a quick shower before getting ready for the night. It's just a casual dinner with Anna, Carlos, and some of their friends. You slip into something stylish yet comfortable and call concierge to arrange a driver for the night. You're just putting the finishing touches on your make-up when your hotel room phone rings.

"Hello?"

"Hello, Ms. Sutton. Your driver is ready out front whenever you are." The concierge says.

"Any way there is a side entrance or back entrance that can be used?" you ask nervously.

"Absolutely. I will arrange for the driver to come to your room to escort you down." He responds.

"Thank you." You reply and hang up the call.

Your thoughts race back to home and all of the flashing cameras from paparazzi. You shake it off. This is a new country, a new place, no one will recognize you. Just then you hear a knock at the door. You pick up your purse opening the door.

"Ms. Sutton? My name is John, I will be your driver for the duration of your stay." John is an older gentleman in his late 50's, dressed in a black suit and tie with an earpiece.

I wonder if he's secret service.

"Please call me Maddie" you respond extending your hand smiling. John shakes your hand and smiles back at you.

"Please follow me."

You follow John down the hallway into the elevator where John puts a key into the elevator turning it and pressing a red button at the same time. A short ride down later and you step off into a side alley with a dark Sedan parked just down the way. John opens the passenger side door for you, and you step in.

"Thank you John."

John gets into the driver seat. "Where to Ms.?" You tell him the address and John simply nods.

"Should take 20 minutes".

You text Anna that you're on your way and watch the view out the window. You get lost in the scenery when John snaps you out of it.

"We're here Ms. Sutton" as the car rolls to a stop. You smile. "Please John, it's Maddie."

"Right, yes, Maddie." John steps out and comes around to open your door for you. You step out and John hands you his business card. "Call or text me when you need a ride back to the hotel."

You smile and nod, "thank you." John watches as you walk up to the front door to make sure you get inside before leaving.

You knock on the front door looking at your watch, 7:05pm. Not too late. Anna opens the door smiling. "Maddie there you are!"

"Sorry, I hope I'm not too late." You say giving her a quick hug.

"Come on, I want to give you a tour and then there's some people I want you to meet!" Anna grabs your hand and starts dragging you around the house. It's a gorgeous 5-bedroom, 3-bathroom old Spanish style house sitting on the top of a hill overlooking the city.

"Anna, this house is amazing!" you gush to her.

"Thanks, it was one of Carlo's relatives who moved to Albania, so we were able to get a really good deal on it too!" Anna responds smiling walking the two of you towards the kitchen. You can hear voices coming from inside.

"Speaking of Carlos.." Anna smiles and as you round the corner you see Carlos sitting down surrounded by a group of people all chatting away. Anna walks up behind Carlos and places her hands on his shoulders motioning for you to come over.

"Hey everyone, this is my best friend Maddie. Maddie this is everyone." You wave and smile looking around at everyone.

"Maddie is going to be moving to Monaco, so please be nice to her, no one scare her off. Gasly I'm looking at you." Anna says laughing and pointing towards a tall muscular brunette with the bluest eyes.

"Pierre Gasly" the guy says extending his hand towards you.

"Madeline Sutton, but please call me Maddie. "You respond, your eyes meeting sending the feeling of butterflies right to your stomach. "So, you'll be the one to watch out for. I'll guess I'll have to keep my eye on you."