CHAPTER 78

An hour later you're sitting back in bed, the epidural taken full effect and you no longer feel the painful contractions as they happen. Dr. Palermo comes by to check on you a short time later. Pierre stands on one side of you, Pascale on the other both holding your hands as the doctor checks where you're at.

"Okay Maddie, you're at 8cm now but I can still see the cord in the way. I can give you another hour, if you'd like, but I think you should consider the idea of a c-section before it becomes emergent." Dr. Palermo says taking off her gloves and stepping back from you.

"If we go with a C-section how long will it take?" You ask nervously.

"From room to baby, as long as everything go smoothly about an hour. If it becomes emergent and we need to get that baby out sooner, 30 mins." Dr. Paloma says.

"What's the difference in timing?" Pierre asks.

"How hard we push for an operating room basically." Dr. Palermo says smiling.

"I don't think I want the stress of it becoming an emergency. Let's just do the c-section," you say looking up at Pierre. "I don't want to risk it."

"Okay, I'll get everything set up, you guys just hang tight. The nurses will come and get you ready in a little bit." Dr. Palermo says before heading out of the room.

Pierre sits down in the bed next to you and puts his arm around you. Pascale takes a few pictures of the two of you and you look over at the clock. 12:47am.

You smile, "I think he's definitely got the racing genes in him, being born on race day."

Pierre smiles and kisses the side of your head, "Monaco race day none the less."

"Best Monaco race day ever," you say smiling putting a hand on your belly. You spend a few more minutes together before a team of nurses comes in and gets you prepared. They hand Pierre a pair of scrubs and he heads to the bathroom to change.

You smile as you see him come out decked out in a set of navy-blue scrubs.

"I forgot how comfortable these things are." Pierre says setting his clothes on the couch. You chuckle and Pascale leans over giving you a hug and kissing the side of your head.

"You're doing great Maddie. It's all going to be okay." She says and you smile holding onto her.

Pierre comes over and Pascale goes to sit on the couch. He wraps you in a big hug and kisses your forehead, "I love you."

"I love you too." You say back, and Pierre gently kissing your lips.

"Alright, let's go have this baby," the nurse says, and you smile as they push your bed down the hall, Pierre not far behind. The nurses stop as they reach a big double set of doors.

"Okay dad, this is as far as you go for now. You can sit here and one of the nurses will come and grab you once she's all set up." The nurse says and Pierre nods. He leans over holding your hand and kissing you quickly. "You've got this Maddie. I love you. I'll see you soon." He says and you squeeze his hand tightly before letting go as they wheel you away. Pierre anxiously sits in the waiting area, his knee bouncing in anticipation. What feels like an eternity later, a nurse comes out to grab him.

"Mr. Gasly?" A nurse says and Pierre immediately stands up. "That's me."

"Follow me." The nurse says opening the door and leading him down the hallway.

"Now before we go in there, I have to prepare you. Your wife is laying down on her back, arms strapped down to the table. There is a sheet just above her belly, so you won't see anything as they start. The doctor will talk the two of you through the whole thing, and you'll get to look over the sheet if you want to see your baby come out, but it can be distressing seeing your partner open like that so if you feel light headed at all let us know. We don't need anyone fainting in there. It's your job to stand at her head, comfort her, and keep her calm okay?" The nurse says and Pierre nods nervously.