CHAPTER 38 - WARNING

TRIGGER WARNING - Aftermath of Physical Assault, Hospital

You feel a sharp pain shoot up your hand and your eyes shoot open. You take a couple deep breaths and look around the hospital room re-orientating yourself. You see Pierre fast asleep on the couch in scrubs and smile. Just then a nurse walks in to check on you, "oh good you're awake, I'll go let the doctor know." The nurse says quietly checking your vitals before leaving.

Pierre stirs, opening his eyes slowly. He looks over to you and you smile.

"Hi, you," you say softly.

"Maddie, oh thank god you're awake," Pierre says jumping up and coming over to hold your hand.

"How are you feeling?" Pierre asks looking at you.

"Sore, but okay," you say groggily looking down at your hand. "Did I break it?" You ask holding up your hand in a splint. Pierre nods. "Good, I put everything I had behind that punch." You say chuckling softly and the doctor walks in.

"Ms. Sutton, glad to see you're awake. How are you feeling?" Dr. Plate asks.

"I'm okay, a little sore and my hand hurts but I think that's to be expected." You say looking at the splint.

"Yes, you sustained a concussion and a boxer's fracture to that hand. We sedated you to give your body some time to rest. Do you remember what happened last night?" The doctor asks.

"I remember what happened with the guy, and then I remember sitting down at the table we were at, and then after that it gets a little fuzzy." You say trying to remember.

"You were in and out of consciousness due to your concussion, so that memory loss is normal." The doctor says looking you over. "You need to take it easy for the next two weeks, no flying, no heavy lifting, no excessive strain, and no alcohol. After two week as long as your hand has healed well, the splint can come off." She shows you how to take the splint off to shower and put it back on. "I want to keep you here for the next 12 hours for observation, but after that you should be able to go home."

"Thank you doctor." You say and she leaves the room.

"Ugh I'm such an idiot," you say tears in your eyes.

"Maddie what are you talking about?" Pierre says.

"I shouldn't have punched him. Now I can't fly, I can't help with the house. Oh god the house, we're suppose to pick up the keys tonight." You say distraught.

Pierre chuckles and you look at him, "what's so funny?"

"I thought I was going to lose you last night, and here you are apologizing because you can't help with the move." Pierre says.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you," you say moving over and patting the bed beside you. Pierre lays down next to you wrapping you in his arms making you feel safe and loved. "But look, I'm okay, I'm right here." You say squeezing him.

Pierre fills you in on everything that happened.

"The doctor really believed that they were my sisters?" You ask laughing.

"No, but she wasn't about to argue with Anna, she was ready to take someone out if needed." Pierre says chuckling. "They should be by soon actually, if you're up for it."

"Yeah, it'll be good to see them. What about John? Does John know?" You ask.

"Lando texted him, he'll be by this morning too to check on you. He'll drive us back home tonight instead of flying. Your dad is on his way here too, I called him last night he should be here soon." Pierre says.