CHAPTER 10

"No problem, any time mom." You respond sucking back the tears. "How would you and dad feel about coming to the next race with her? I'd love for you to meet Pierre and some of my other friends."

"Oh, I don't know about that, you're fathers really busy with work and I'm suppose to have a golf tournament with the girls." Your mom responds coolly.

"What if I fly up there to get her and bring her back after the race if you're both going to be busy anyways? Please she's my little sister mom." You plead hopefully.

"I'll talk it over with your father and see." You look at your phone as the call disconnects. You stand outside for a moment and let the tears fall down your face.

You turn around to head back inside to find Pierre standing at the door waiting for you.

"How much of that did you hear?" you ask wiping the tears away.

"Enough." He says pulling you to his chest. You hold each other for a moment as your tears fall onto his chest. He then tilts your head up and wipes away the remaining tears from your cheeks.

"You are so strong, Maddie. I am so proud of you." Pierre says looking into your eyes. You sniffle and pat your face. "Does it look like I've been crying?" you ask already knowing the answer to the question.

"Yes, but I promise you no one cares." Pierre responds taking your hand. You nod and take a deep breath before returning to the dining room.

"So sorry about that, just family stuff going on at the moment." You say trying not make eye contact with anyone as you're worried you might start to cry again.

"What's wrong? Is Isa okay?" Anna asks knowing she would be the only family member you'd cry for. You look up to the ceiling trying to hold back tears and take a deep breathe. You feel Pierre's arm wrap around your shoulder for support.

"Yes she's okay. A little bit of context for everyone, Isabelle – Isa – is my younger sister. We're talking like 21-year age gap here. She's only three, and I practically raised her up until this point since my parents were so busy. Why they wanted another kid so many years later is beyond me, but anyways, she's just having a really hard time adjusting to me not being around. And I guess I am too if you can't tell." You say trying to smile.

"Oh, I'm so sorry Maddie," Charlotte says getting up to give you a hug.

Anna gets up and gives her a hug too, "I know how much she means to you, I'm so sorry Mads." Before you know it everyone's hugging you in a big group hug. You chuckle.

"I'm okay guys really, thank you, but I'm okay," you say feeling better about things. "I'm going to try and convince my parents to let me fly her back out for a race one weekend – she loves race cars and I know would absolutely die meeting you guys."

"Cute kid, I'm so in," Carlos says looking atAnna. Anna laughs. "Don't be looking at me for that yet mister, I still don'tsee a ring on this finger." You all laugh and continue on with the evening.