Happy Birthday Rory

October 8th 2008- 4:03am

Logan had his arm around Rory and she had her head on his shoulder and her hand on his chest. They were asleep when Rory's phone rang, walking them up.

"Who the hell is calling you in the middle of the night?" Logan groaned

"My mom" Rory sighed, reaching for her cell phone

"Why is your mom calling in the middle of the night?"

"It's a birthday thing, I'll explain later" Rory put the phone to her ear "you're still doing this?"

"Yup" Lorelai giggled, through the phone "I can't believe how fast you're growing up"

"Really? Feels slow"

"Mmm mmm, trust me, it's fast. What do you think of your life so far?"

"I think it's pretty good"

"Any complaints?"

"I'd like that whole humidity thing to go away"

"Mhmm, alright, I'll work on that"

"So do I look older?"

"Oh, yeah. You walk into Denny's before 5:00 and you got yourself a discount"

"Good deal"

"So you know what I think?"

"What?"

"I think you're a great, cool kid and the best friend a girl could have"

"Back at ya"

And it's so hard to believe that at exactly this time many moons ago, I was lying in exactly this sane position..."

"Oh, boy, here we go"

"...only I had a huge, fat stomach and big, fat ankles, and I was sweating like a sailor..."

"On leave"

"On leave, right. And there I was..."

"In labor..."

"And while some have called it the most beautiful experience of your life, to me it was something more akin to doing the splits on a crate of dynamite"

"I wonder if the Waltons ever did this"

"And I was screaming and swearing, and being surrounded as I was by a hundred prominent doctors, I'd just assumed there was an actual use for the cup of ice chips they gave me"

"There wasn't"

"But pelting the nurses sure was fun"

"I love you, mom"

"Shh! We're getting to the part where he sees your head. So there I was, lying..."

Lorelai finished telling Rory her story and then they hung up

"Oh" Rory groaned and laid back down with her head on Logan's shoulder "I'm sorry about that. I always forget that she's gonna do that"

"That's alright, Ace. Happy birthday" he kissed her

"Thank you"

"So, do you wanna explain why your mom called you at 4 in the morning?"

"Since I was like, 3, maybe before, every year in my birthday, my mom climbs into bed with me at 4:03am and tells me the story of my birth, even though I've heard it 24 times now"

"Why at 4:03?"

"That's when I was born"

"I didn't know that"