Chapter 2

I opened the door and I could hear the yelling from down the block. I held Leah's hand as she at on the porch in the freezing cold waiting for me. My dad had striked Derrick in his face two more times. He was beating him as if he was a nigga in the street.

Go upstairs! I pushed Leah as she cried.

And you! You two muthafuckas got me fucked up getting arrested on the damn street today for fighting! He yelled yoking me up. I braced myself for the punch he was bout to give me to my face. He punched me so hard I fell out his hands and hit my head.

Y'all wanna be some fuckin thugs I'll treat y'all like some fuckin thugs. He yelled he continued to hit Derrick over and over and over again. I tried to get up but the blood leaking from my head made me feel dizzy. I felt the back and I could feel something moving as if a piece of my skull had broken.

He beat Derrick so bad his eye was swollen shut, lips was busted and possibly a broken nose. He grabbed him by his bloody shirt and threw him into "TheRoom" he locked the door and sat on the couch.

James you better get the fuck up and get the fuck out my face before I do you ten times worse! He said sternly without looking at me. I stumbled over my book bag trying to make it upstairs. I felt so dizzy! When I reached the door to my room I fell.

____________________
I woke up to monitors going off and beeping. My dad stood yelling at a nurse and two doctors. My mom was right by him looking annoyed.

Okay he's a boy they play rough and shit he'll be alright!

Sir your son has a concussion and a fractured skull he'll need surgery! If bleeding ever occurs again he could die! This is serious! The lady yelled furiously.

He'll be just fine! We don't have that kind of money for no surgery! Come on Leasha pick the boy up.

Sir I can't let you take your son out of here! Now we can work with you on finding a payment plan or getting some insurance.

We are on a fixed income and won't nobody gone cover us with insurance we tried. My dad yelled.

Well he can't leave. He has a fractured skull and over 50 broken bones on his body. He is severely underweight and he's covered in bruises.

Him and his brother are extremely rough with each other... my mother butted in.

Look I'm taking my son get him some pain meds and we are leaving! My dad ripped the IV out my arm and just when I was feeling okay he stole it from me. He picked me up from the bed taking all the monitors off of me and my mother followed behind us as he walked out with me in his arms putting me into the car.

It was the first time I've ever been to the hospital for anything. They both caused me to break a lot of things so this must of been serious.

I had a lil trouble walking but my dad pushed me up the stairs and into the house. "I'll be back!" He said to my mom and she sat me at the kitchen table and called Leah.

Leah smiled hard when she seen me. She sat in her seat but something was off about my sister I couldn't put my finger on it. It seem like something about her innocence was gone.

My mother sat a plate of bread and Mayo in front of us. WishAHad sandwiches. "Don't just sit there hurry up and eat!" She said annoyed before going to answer the door. Must of been one of her tricks.

Your alive! Leah smiled.

Yeah...

You passed out and wasn't breathing. Daddy thought you was dead...

I'm not going to leave you Leah.

Please don't James! Never again...

Are you okay?

I'll tell you later!

Tell what later? My mother asked coming into the kitchen. She lit her spoon on the stove and looked at us like we was stupid. "Y'all keeping secrets and shit go upstairs and finish yalls food in hall room. Go on get!" She yelled. We hurried up and went upstairs. I heard the door slam to her bedroom and I waited for them to start having sex. I ran back downstairs and made two sandwiches for Derrick unlocking the door for him.

Thank you! He said with tears in his one eye. He could nearly see out of it. A huge blood clot fogged it.

Your welcome! All she gave us was this....

I heard the door unlocking and I jumped up. Derrick pushed me out the room and I locked the doors so fast just as my father was walking into the house. He knew if I was caught than my beating would of been 10 times worse.

What you doing boy?

Nothing...I dropped my pencil to do my homework.

Uhhh...here take this medicine suppose to help with pain and stop bleeding on yo brain fuck around and die ima kill you boy. He said sternly.

Yes sir! I took the bag from his hand and went to the kitchen to get water and take the medicine. It was oxycodone I know these won't be found after today.... So I took a few from the pill bottle and put them in my pocket. These was good as sold by tonight.

I went back upstairs and Leah was sitting there sad. "What's wrong?"

My tummy hurts I'm still hungry.

Here eat my food!

You sure?

Yeah it's fine just eat.

She picked my sandwiches up and ate them. Long as she was full I was okay. I helped her with her homework and got her ready for bed. I waited until she was sleep and I watched her sleep. Another sleepless night for me.